Associate Professor of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
Director, AIDS Education Program
San Francisco General Hospital
San Francisco, CA
- Women and AIDS
- AIDS dermatology
- HIV and AIDS primary care
- Hepatitis C and HIV coinfection
- Lesbian health care
Dr Newman is a clinician-educator at the University of California San Francisco-San Francisco General Hospital campus, specializing in HIV Medicine. She is an Associate Professor of Medicine at UCSF and Director of the AIDS Education Program at San Francisco General Hospital. Her domains of interest include women and AIDS, HIV dermatology, hepatitis C and HIV coinfection, and HIV primary care.
- IAS–USA (1999-)
- Emergency Coalition to Save Public Health (1999-)
- American College of Physicians (1990-)
- Society for General Internal Medicine (1990-)
- Physicians for a National Health Program (1988-)
- Co-Editor, Cases on the Web Editorial Board, International AIDS Society-USA
- Admitted to the UCSF Teaching Scholars Program for 2002-2003 (2002)
- Recipient, UCSF Medical Residents, Women In Medicine; Faculty Role Model Award for 2002 (2002)
- Clinical Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2001 (2001)
- Elected to AOA as a faculty representative (2001)
- Community Based Training Award Certificate-ACP-ASIM (2000)
- California State University, Fresno, BA, Social Welfare, Magna Cum Laude (1977)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Allied Health, BS, Health Sciences and Physician Assistant Certification (1983)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, MD (1991)
- University of California San Francisco, Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine (1991-1994)
- Chambers HF, Miller RT, Newman MD. Right-sided Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis in intravenous drug abusers: two-week combination therapy. Ann Intern Med. 1988;109:619-624.
- Andersson M, Huang L, Newman MD, Hopewell PC, Stansell JD. Aspergillus fumigatus: an unusual cause of empyema in a patient with AIDS. Abstract. XI International Conference on AIDS. 1996, Vancouver, Canada.
- Newman MD, Jacobson MA. Non-ocular complications of AIDS. In: Clinics of North America In Ophthalmology. New York, NY: WB Saunders; 1997.
- Newman MD. Management of AIDS in women. In: Cohen P, Sande M, Volberding MA, eds. The AIDS Knowledge Base, Third Edition. Essex, England: Little/Brown; 1998.
- Newman M. Drug reaction in a patient with AIDS. In: Volberding PA, ed. Clinical Case Studies in HIV. Greenwich, Conn: Clinical Communications Inc. 1998.
- Newman, M. Erythematous thrush in a patient with HIV. In: Volberding PA, ed. Clinical Case Studies in HIV. Greenwich, Conn: Clinical Communications Inc; 1998.
- Newman M. Staphylococcus aureus folliculitis in a patient with AIDS. In: Volberding PA, ed. Clinical Case Studies in HIV. Greenwich, Conn: Clinical Communications Inc; 1998.
- Newman MD, Wofsy CB. Gender specific issues in HIV disease. In: Sande M, Volberding PA, eds. The Medical Management of AIDS. New York, NY: WB Saunders; 1999.
- Newman, MD. New developments in HIV care for women. Intl AIDS Society-USA. 2000;8:9-13.
- Levine A, Berhane K, Sanchez MN, Masri-Lavine L, Pearce L, Young M, Newman M, Anastos K, Augenbraun M, Gange S, Burns D. Relationship between highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), anemia and survival in a large cohort of HIV-infected women (Women's Interagency HIV Study-WIHS). Abstract. XIII International Conference on AIDS. 2000; Durban, South Africa.