Professor of Medicine
University of California Los Angeles
Director, UCLA CARE Center
Los Angeles, CA
- Clinical trials of novel agents for treatment of AIDS-associated malignancies
- Role of immune-based therapies in HIV
- Hematologic abnormalities in HIV
- Approaches to possible eradication of HIV
- Gene Therapy in HIV
Dr Mitsuyasu is Professor of Medicine and Director of the UCLA Center for Clinical AIDS Research and Education at the University of California Los Angeles and Associate Director of Clinical Programs of the UCLA AIDS Institute. He is the current chair of the Immunology Research Agenda Committee of the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group. Dr Mitsuyasu's research focus is on clinical trials of cytokines, immune-based therapies, biologic response modifiers; gene therapies for HIV; and treatments for AIDS-related tumors.
- Group Chair, AIDS Malignancy Consortium
- Director, UCLA Center for AIDS Research and Education (CARE Center)
- Associate Director, UCLA AIDS Institut
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Clinical Investigator's Award, National Cancer Institute
- University of California Berkeley, AB, Biochemistry (1973)
- University of California Los Angeles, MD (1978)
- Rush-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center, Residency in Internal Medicine (1978-1981)
- University of California Los Angeles, Fellowship in Hematology-Oncology (1981-1984)
- Schooley RT, Spino C, Kuritzkes D, Walker BD, Valentine FA, Hirsch MS, Cooney E, Friedland G, Kundu S, Merigan TC Jr, McElrath MJ, Collier A, Plaeger S, Mitsuyasu R, Kahn J, Haslett P, Uherova P, deGruttola V, Chiu S, Zhang B, Jones G, Bell D, Ketter N, Twadell T, Chernoff D, Rosandich M. Two double-blinded, randomized, comparative trials of 4 human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) envelope vaccines in HIV-1-infected individuals across a spectrum of disease severity: AIDS Clinical Trials Groups 209 and 214. J Infect Dis.2000;182:1357-1364.
- Emery S, Capra WB, Cooper DA, Mitsuyasu RT, Kovacs JA, Vig P, Smolskis M, Saravolatz LD, Lane HC, Fyfe GA, Curtin PT. Pooled analysis of 3 randomized, controlled trials of interleukin-2 therapy in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 disease. J Infect Dis.2000;182:428-434.
- Mitsuyasu RT, Anton PA, Deeks SG, Scadden DT, Connick E, Downs MT, Bakker A, Roberts MR, June CH, Jalali S, Lin AA, Pennathur-Das R, Hege KM. Prolonged survival and tissue trafficking following adoptive transfer of CD4 gene-modified autologous CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells in human immunodeficiency virus-infected subjects. Blood.2000;96:785-793.
- AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma: current treatment options, future trends. Oncology. 2000;14:867-878.
- Mitsuyasu RT. Update on the pathogenesis and treatment of Kaposi sarcoma. Curr Opin Oncol.2000;12:174-180.
- Mitsuyasu R. HIV protease inhibitors: immunological insights. AIDS.1999;13 (suppl 1):S19-S27.
- Amado RG, Mitsuyasu RT, Symonds G, Rosenblatt JD, Zack J, Sun LQ, Miller M, Ely J, Gerlach W. A phase I trial of autologous CD34+ hematopoietic progenitor cells transduced with an anti-HIV ribozyme. Hum Gene Ther. 1999;10:2255-2270.
- Amado RG, Mitsuyasu RT, Zack JA. Gene therapy for the treament of AIDS: animal models and human clincial experience. Front Biosci.1999;4:D468-D475.
- Bucy RP, Hockett RD, Derdeyn CA, Saag MS, Squires K, Sillers M, Mitsuyasu RT, Kilby JM. Initial increase in blood CD4(+) lymphocytes after HIV antiretroviral therapy reflects redistribution from lymphoid tissues. J Clin Invest.1999;103:1391-1398.
- Aziz N, Nishanian P, Taylor JM, Mitsuyasu RT, Jacobson JM, Dezube BJ, Lederman MM, Detels R, Fahey JL. Stability of plasma levels of cytokines and soluble activation markers in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:843-848.