Professor of Medicine and Pathology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases
Endowed Chair for Elimination of HIV and AIDS
Director, HIV/AIDS Program
- HIV infection and the clinical significance of antiretroviral drug resistance
- Clinical trials of new antiretroviral drug combinations
Dr Mellors is a Professor of Medicine and Pathology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is also Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases and Director of the HIV/AIDS Program. Dr Mellors is interested in antiretroviral therapy of HIV infection and AIDS. This includes the evaluation of new antiretroviral compounds, both in vitro and in clinical trials, and studies on the mechanisms of antiviral drug resistance. The primary focus of Dr Mellors's research is to detect and characterize viral variants that are resistant to antiretrovirals. Other research interests include clinical trials of new antiretroviral drug combinations, studies of viral load as a predictor of disease outcome, and salvage treatment regimens.
- Member, Resistance Testing Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- International Society for Antiviral Research
- American Society for Microbiology
- Organizing Committee, Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections
- Organizing Committee, International Workshop on HIV Drug Resistance
- Co-Chairman, International Workshop on Salvage Therapy for HIV Infection
- Gold Medal for Outstanding Medical Contribution to Science, Federal Executive Board, Excellence in Government
- Research Grant, Unrestricted Infectious Diseases, Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation
- Dartmouth Medical School, MD (1978)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, Residency and Chief Medical Resident, Internal Medicine (1978–1982)
- Yale University, Fellow in Infectious Diseases (1982–1984)
- Mellors JW. Closing in on HIV-1. Nat Med. 1996;2:274-275.
- Mellors JW, Rinaldo CR, Gupta P, White RM, Todd JA, Kingsley LA. Prognosis in HIV-1 infection predicted by the quantity of virus in plasma. Science. 1996;272:1167-1170.
- Mellors JW, Munoz A, Giorgi JV, Margolick JB, Tassoni CJ, Gupta P, Kingsley LA, Todd JA, Schrager LK, Saah AJ, Detels RR, Phair JP, and Rinaldo CR. Plasma viral load and Cd4+ T-lymphocytes as prognostic markers in HIV-1 infection. Ann Intern Med. 1997;126:946-954.
- Shi C, Mellors JW. A recombinant retroviral system for rapid in vivo analysis of HIV-1 susceptibility to reverse transcriptase inhibitors. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1997;41:2781-2785.
- Rinaldo CR, Liebmann JM, Huang XL, Fan Z, Al-Shboul Q, McMahon DK, Day RD, Riddler SA, Mellors JW. Prolonged suppression of HIV-1 viremia in persons with advanced disease results in enhancement of CD4+ T-cell reactivity to microbial antigens but not to HIV-1 antigens. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:329-336.
- Rinaldo CR, Huang XL, Fan Z, Margolick JB, Borowski L, Hoji A, Kalinyak C, McMahon DK, Riddler SA, Hildebrand WH, Day RB, Mellors JW. Anti-human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) CD8(+) T-lymphocyte reactivity during combination antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected patients with advanced immunodeficiency. J Virol. 2000;74:4127-4138.
- DeGruttola V, Dix L, D'Aquila R, Holder D, Phillips A, Ait-Kahled M, Baxter J, Clevenbergh P, Hammer S, Harrigan R, Katzenstein D, Lanier R, Miller M, Para M, Yerly S, Zolopa A, Murray J, Patick A, Miller V, Castillo S, Pedneault L, Mellors JW. The relation between baseline HIV drug resistance and response to antiretroviral therapy: re-analysis of retrospective and prospective studies using a standardized data analysis plan. Antivir Ther. 2000;5:41-48.
- Bazmi HZ, Hammond JL, Cavalcanti SC, Chu CK, Schinazi RF, Mellors JW. In vitro selection of mutations in HIV-1 reverse transcriptase that decrease susceptibility to (-) β-D-dioxolane-guanosine and suppress resistance to 3'-azido-3'-deoxythymidine. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:1783-1788.
- Lyles RH, Munoz A, Yamashita TE, Bazmi H, Detels R, Rinaldo CR, Margolick CR, Phair JP, and Mellors JW. Natural history of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viremia after seroconversion and proximal to AIDS in a large cohort of homosexual men. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:872-880.
- Hostetler KY, Hammond JL, Kini GD, Hostetler SE, Beadle JR, Aldern KA, Chou TC, Richman DD, Mellors JW. In vitro anti-HIV-1 activity of sn-2-substituted 1-O-octadecyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphonoformate analogues and synergy with zidovudine. Antivir Chem Chemother. 2000;11:213-220.