Professor of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Mechanisms of immune deficiency and immune restoration in HIV-1 infection
- Mechanisms of resistance to HIV-1 infection
- Chemokine receptor blockade to prevent mucosal transmission of HIV-1
Dr Lederman is Professor of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, and Director of the CWRU AIDS Clinical Trials Unit. He is also acting Director of the Center for AIDS Research at CWRU and was the founder of the Special Immunology Unit (AIDS clinic) at CWRU University Hospitals of Cleveland.
- Chairman, ACTG Immunology Laboratory Committee (1995–1998)
- Chairman, ACTG Immunology Research Agenda Committee (1998, 1999)
- Elton Hoyt II Research Award (1979)
- Sigma Xi Faculty Research Award (1986)
- Voice Against Silence — AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland (1999)
- Brandeis University, BA (1970)
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, MD (1974)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland, Internship and Residency (1978)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1980)
- Wu H, Kuritzkes DR, St Clair M, Kessler H, Connick E, Landay A, Heath-Chiozzi M, Rousseau F, Fox L, Spritzler J, Leonard J, Lederman MM. Characterizing viral dynamics in HIV-1-infected patients treated with combination antiretroviral therapy: relationships to host factors, cellular restoration and virological endpoints. J Infect Dis.1999;179:799-807.
- Connick E, Lederman MM, Kotzin BL, Spritzler J, Kuritzkes DR, St. Clair M, Fox L, Heath-Chiozzi M, Leonard JM, Rousseau F, Arc D, Roe J, Martinez A, Kessler H, Landay A. Immune reconstitution in the first year of potent antiretroviral therapy and its relationship to virologic response. J Infect Dis.2000;181:358-363.
- Smith KY, Valdez H, Landay A, Spritzler J, Gross BH, Francis IR, Kessler HA, Connick E, McCune JM, Lederman MM. Thymic size and lymphocyte restoration in HIV infected patients following 48 weeks of therapy with zidovudine, lamivudine and ritonavir. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:141-147.
- Valdez H, Smith K, Landay AL, Connick E, Kuritzkes DR, Kessler H, Fox L, Spritzler J, Roe J, Lederman HM, Lederman M, Evans TG, Lederman MM. Response to immunization with recall and neoantigens after prolonged administration of a protease inhibitor-containing regimen. AIDS.2000;14:11-21.
- Kuritzkes DR, Young B, Sevin A, Bakhtiari M, Wu H, St Clair M, Connick E, Landay A, Spritzler J, Kessler H, Lederman MM. Effect of zidovudine resistance mutations on virologic response to treatment with zidovudine/lamivudine/ritonavir: genotypic analysis of HIV-1 isolates from ACTG 315. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:491-497.
- MacArthur R, Lederman MM, Benson CA, Chernoff MC, MacGregor RR, Spritzler J, Mahon LF, Yen-Lieberman B, Purvis S. Effects of treatment for MAC infection on cytokine expression in HIV-infected patients. J Infect Dis.2000;181:1486-1490.
- Benson CA, Williams PL, Cohn DL, Becker S, Hojczyk P, Nevin T, Korvick JA, Heifets L, Child CC, Lederman MM, Reichman RC, Powderly WG, Notario GF, Wynne BA, Hafner R. Clarithromycin or rifabutin alone or in combination for primary prophylaxis of Mycobacterium avium complex disease in patients with AIDS: a randomzied, double-blind placebo controlled trial. J Infect Dis.2000;181:1289-1297.
- Lederman MM, Kalish LA, Asmuth D, Fiebig E, Mileno M, Busch M. Modeling the relationships among HIV-1 replication, immune activation and CD4+ T cell losses using adjusted correlative analyses. AIDS.2000;14:951-958.
- Lederman MM, Valdez H. Immune restoration with antiretroviral therapies — implications for clinical management. JAMA. 2000;284:223-228.
- Valdez H, Anthony D, Farukhi F, Patki A, Salkowitz J, Heeger P, Peterson DL, Post AB, Asaad R, Lederman MM. Immune responses to hepatitis C and non- hepatitis C antigens in hepatitis C virus infected and HIV-1 coinfected patients. AIDS. 2000;14:2239-2246.