Professor of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Clinical AIDS Research
Massachusetts General Hospital
- HIV therapy
Dr Hirsch is the Director of Clinical AIDS Research at Massachusetts General Hospital, and Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. He also serves as Professor of Immunology and Infectious Diseases at the Harvard School of Public Health, and as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Infectious Diseases.http://dev.iasusa.gotpantheon.com/content/res
- Governor's Recognition Award for Research on AIDS, Commonwealth of Massachusetts (1986)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1989)
- Master of Arts, honorary, Harvard University (1990)
- Clinical Virology Award for 2000, Pan American Society for Clinical Virology (2000)
- Election to honorary membership, Ludwig-Heilmeyer-Gesellschaft-International Society for Progress in Internal Medicine (2000)
- Mentor Award of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (2001)
- Enders Lecturer, Infectious Diseases Society of America (2004)
- Hamilton College, AB (1960)
- Johns Hopkins University Medical School, MD (1964)
- University of Chicago Clinics and Hospitals, Internship in Medicine (1964-1965)
- University of Chicago Clinics and Hospitals, Residency in Medicine (1965-1966)
- Harvard Medical School, Research Fellow in Medicine (1969-1971)
- Infectious Disease Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Clinical and Research fellow (1969-1971)
- Ho DD, Schooley RT, Rota TR, Kaplan JC, Flynn T, Salahuddin SZ, Gonda MA, Hirsch MS. HTLV-III in the semen and blood of a healthy homosexual man. Science. 1984;226:451-453.
- Ho DD, Rota TR, Schooley RT, Allen JD, Groopman JE, Hirsch MS. Isolation of HTLV-III from CSF and neural tissues of patients with acute and chronic neurologic syndromes. N Engl J Med. 1985;313:1493-1497.
- Vogt MW, Witt DJ, Craven DE, Byington R, Crawford DF, Schooley RT, Hirsch MS. Isolation of HTLV-III/LAV from cervical secretions of women at risk for AIDS. Lancet. 1986;1:525-527.
- Hartshorn KL, Vogt MW, Chou T-C, Blumberg RS, Byington RE, Schooley RT, Hirsch MS. Synergistic inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus in vitro by azidothymidine and recombinant alpha A interferon. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987;31:168-172.
- Pomerantz RJ, Kuritzkes DR, de la Monte SM, Rota TR, Baker AS, Albert D, Bor DH, Feldman EL, Schooley RT, Hirsch MS. Human immunodeficiency virus type I (HIV-1) infection of the retina. N Engl J Med. 1987;317:1643-1647.
- Johnson VA, Merrill DP, Chou T-C, Hirsch MS. HIV-1 inhibitory interactions between protease inhibitor (RO31-8959) and either zidovudine (AZT), 2'3'-dideoxycytidine (ddC) or recombinant interferon alpha A (rIFNαA) against AZT-sensitive or AZT-resistant HIV-1 in vitro. J Infect Dis. 1992;166:1143-1146.
- Hammer SM, Katzenstein DA, Hughes MD, Gundacker H, Schooley RT, Haubrich RH, Henry WK, Lederman MM, Phair JP, Niu M, Hirsch MS, Merigan TC for the ACTG 175 Study Team. Nucleoside monotherapy vs combination therapy in HIV-infected adults with CD4 cell counts between 200 and 500 per cubic millimeter. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1081-1090.
- Hirsch MS, Steigbigel R, Staszewski S, Mellors J, Scerpella E, Hirschel B, Lange J, Squires K, Rawlins S, Meibohm A, Leavitt R, for the Protocol 039 Study Group. A randomized, controlled trial of indinavir, zidovudine and lamivudine in adults with advanced HIV-1 infection and prior antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:659-665.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society-USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)
- Hirsch MS, Brun-Vezinet F, Clotet B, Conway B, Kuritzkes DR, D'Aquila RT, Demeter LM, Hammer SM, Johnson VA, Loveday C, Mellors JW, Jacobsen DM, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adults infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1: 2003 recommendations of an International AIDS Society-USA panel. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:113-128.
- Robbins GK, De Gruttola V, Shafer RW, Smeaton LM, Snyder SW, Pettinelli C, Dube MP, Fischl MA, Pollard RB, Delapenha R, Gedeon L, van der Horst C, Murphy RL, Becker MI, D'Aquila RT, Vella S, Merigan TC, Hirsch MS, the AIDS Clinical Trials Group 384 Team. Comparison of sequential three-drug regimens as initial therapy for HIV-1 infection. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:2293-2303.
- Shafer RW, Smeaton LM, Robbins GK, De Gruttola V, Snyder SW, D'Aquila RT, Johnson VA, Morse GD, Nokta MA, Martinez AI, Gripshover BM, Kaul P, Haubrich R, Swingle M, McCarty SD, Vella S, Hirsch MS, Merigan TC; AIDS Clinical Trials Group 384 Team. Comparison of four-drug regimens and pairs of sequential three-drug regimens as initial therapy for HIV-1 infection. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:2304-2315.