Chair, Board of Directors
Professor of Medicine
Co-Director, Center for AIDS Research
Director, AIDS Research Institute
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, California
University Web Site Link: HIV InSite
- Acute HIV infection
- When to start antiretroviral therapy
- Treatment strategies
- Optimal time to begin treatment
- HIV cure research
PAUL VOLBERDING, MD, is a professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Department of Medicine; director of the AIDS Research Institute at UCSF; and co-director with Warner Greene of the UCSF-GIVI Center for AIDS Research. He was the Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of Accordia Global Health Foundation (now part of AfriCare) and the Infectious Diseases Institute in Kampala Uganda. He received his undergraduate and medical degrees at the University of Chicago and the University of Minnesota, respectively, and finished training at the University of Utah and the UCSF where he studied for two years as a research fellow in the virology laboratory of Dr. Jay Levy, later a co-discoverer of the HIV. For 20 years, Dr. Volberding’s professional activities centered at San Francisco General Hospital, where he established a model program of AIDS patient care, research, and professional education. His research career began with investigations of HIV-related malignancies, especially Kaposi sarcoma. His primary research focus, however, shifted to clinical trials of antiretroviral drugs. He has been instrumental in testing many compounds, including early studies in asymptomatic infection that led to the concept of HIV disease, not simply AIDS as the target of treatment. From 2001-2012, Dr. Volberding served as the Chief of Medicine at the San Francisco VA Medical Center and Vice Chair, UCSF Department of Medicine. Dr. Volberding has written many research and review articles. He is the editor- in-chief of the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (JAIDS) clinical science section and a founder of HIV InSite, a comprehensive source of HIV information. He has written several textbooks including Sande’s HIV/AIDS Medicine and the companion text, Global Care, specifically for use in resource limited settings. He is the founder and chair of the board of the International Antiviral Society-USA. He was the president of the HIV Medical Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America and was the second president (1988-1990) of the International AIDS Society. He was elected a member of the Institute of Medicine (now the National Academy of Medicine) of the National Academy of Sciences in 1999. He is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences and of the IDSA. He is a Master in the American College of Physicians.
- Founding Chair, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- President, HIV Medicine Association, Infectious Diseases Society of America (2004-2005)
- Institute of Medicine
- Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- Co-Editor in Chief, Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes
- Elected to Institute of Medicine (1999)
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Chicago
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Minnesota
- Association of American Physicians
- University of Chicago, AB (1971)
- University of Minnesota, MD (1975)
- University of Utah (1978)
- University of California San Francisco (1981)
- Board certified in Medical Oncology and Internal Medicine
- Henry DH, Volberding PA, Leitz G. Epoetin alfa for treatment of anemia in HIV-infected patients: past, present, and future. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;37:1221-1227.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society-USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society–USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)
- Volberding PA. Meeting challenges--overcoming limitations: advances of the protease inhibitor class proceedings of an expert roundtable. JAIDS. 2004;35:S1-S2.
- Michael MG, Kaufman C, Volberding PA, Gupta P, Switzer WM, Heneine W, Sandstrom P, Kaplan L, Swift P, Damon L, Ilstad ST. Baboon to human bone marrow xenotransplant in a patient with advanced HIV disease: case report and seven-year follow-up. Transplantation. In press.
- Chung RT, Andersen J, Volberding P, Robbins GK, Liu T, Sherman KE, Peters MG, Koziel MJ, Bhan AK, Alston B, Colquhoun D, Nevin T, Harb G, van der Horst C; AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5071 Study Team. Peginterferon Alfa-2a plus ribavirin versus interferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C in HIV-coinfected persons. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:451-459.
- Volberding PA. Initiating HIV therapy. Timing is critical, controversial. Postgrad Med. 2004;115:15-8, 21, 24-26.
- Volberding PA. Critical issues in treatment and management of HIV infection: introducing and overview. Available at: http://www.hivandhepatitis.com. Accessed: November 23, 2004.
- Volberding PA, Levine AM, Dieterich D, Mildvan D, Mitsuyasu R, Saag M; Anemia in HIV Working Group. Anemia in HIV infection: clinical impact and evidence-based management strategies. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:1454-1463.
- Volberding PA, Baker KR, Levine AM. Human immunodeficiency virus hematology. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program). 2003;294-313.
- Volberding PA, Murphy RL, Barbaro G, Barbarini G, Bruno R, Cirelli A, Currie PF, Di Lorenzo G, Fantoni M, Filiced G, Galli M, Grisorio B, Moroni M, Recusani F, Sacchi P, Scevola D, Stein JH, Torre D, Vittecoq D. The pavia consensus statement. AIDS. 2003;17(Suppl 1):S170-S19.
Improving the Management of HIV Disease®: An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
An Advanced CME Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
Günthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, del Rio C, Eron JJ, Gallant JE, Hoy JF, Mugavero MJ, Sax PE, Thompson MA, Gandhi RT, Landovitz RJ, Smith DM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults 2016 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2016.