Professor of Clinical Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California Los Angeles
Chief, Infectious Diseases Section
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Los Angeles, CA
- Promotion and routinization of HIV diagnostic testing
- Cardio-pulmonary complications in aging HIV-infected patients
Dr Goetz is Professor of Clinical Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine, at the University of California Los Angeles. He is Chief of the Infectious Diseases Section and Director of the Clinical AIDS/HIV Program at the Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System. He is also Program Director of the UCLA Multicampus Fellowship Program in Infectious Diseases.
- Ad Hoc Member, FDA Anti-Microbial Drug Advisory Committee
- Member, Veterans Affairs National HIV/AIDS Technical Advisory Group
- Member, Veterans Affairs National HCV Technical Advisory Group
- Member, Veterans Affairs National Medical Advisory Panel
- Member, Veterans Affairs Infectious Diseases Field Advisory Committee
- Member, Veterans Affairs Antimicrobial Stewardship Taskforce
- Member, Journal of the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, Editorial Board
- Ernst J. Drenick Outstanding Teacher of the Year, West Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Medicine (1998-1999)
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (2003)
- Mark Wolcott Award for Excellence in Clinical Care Leadership - 2015; Patient Care Services, Veterans Health Administration
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, BS Life Sciences (1969-1972)
- Tufts University School of Medicine, MD (1973-1977)
- Hennepin County Medical Center, Internal Medicine Residency (1977-1980)
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics and William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Research and Clinical Fellow in Infectious Diseases (1980-1982)
- Goetz MB, Boscardin WJ, Wiley D, Alkasspooles S. Decreased recovery of CD4 lymphocytes in older HIV-infected patients beginning highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2001 Aug 17;15(12):1576-1579.
- Goetz MB, Ferguson MR, Han X, McMillan G, St Clair M, Pappa KA, McClernon DR, O'Brien WA. Evolution of HIV resistance mutations in patients maintained on a stable treatment regimen after virologic failure. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 Dec 15;43(5):541-549.
- Braithwaite RS, Roberts MS, Chang CC, Goetz MB, Gibert CL, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Shechter S, Schaefer A, Nucifora K, Koppenhaver R, Justice AC. Influence of alternative thresholds for initiating HIV treatment on quality-adjusted life expectancy: a decision model. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Feb 5;148(3):178-185.
- Goetz MB, Hoang T, Bowman C, Knapp H, Rossman B, Smith R, Anaya H, Osborn T, Gifford AL, Asch SM; QUERI-HIV/Hepatitis Program Group. A system-wide intervention to improve HIV testing in the Veterans Health Administration. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Aug;23(8):1200-1207.
- Braithwaite RS, Roberts MS, Goetz MB, Gibert CL, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Nucifora K, Justice AC. Do benefits of earlier antiretroviral treatment initiation outweigh harms for individuals at risk for poor adherence? Clin Infect Dis. 2009 Mar 15;48(6):822-826.
- Goetz MB, Leduc R, Kostman JR, Labriola AM, Lie Y, Weidler J, Coakley E, Bates M, Luskin-Hawk R; Long-Term Monitoring Study (CPCRA 060) and Terry Beirn Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS (CPCRA). Relationship between HIV coreceptor tropism and disease progression in persons with untreated chronic HIV infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 Mar 1;50(3):259-266.
- Kirk JB, Goetz MB. Human immunodeficiency virus in an aging population, a complication of success. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Nov;57(11):2129-2138.
- Goetz MB, Leduc R, Wyman N, Kostman JR, Labriola AM, Lie Y, Weidler J, Coakley E, Bates M, Luskin-Hawk R; Long Term Monitoring Study (CPCRA060) Terry Beirn Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS. HIV replication capacity is an independent predictor of disease progression in persons with untreated chronic HIV infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Apr 1;53(4):472-479.
- Goetz MB, Hoang T, Henry SR, Knapp H, Anaya HD, Gifford AL, Asch SM; QUERI-HIV/Hepatitis Program. Evaluation of the sustainability of an intervention to increase HIV testing. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Dec;24(12):1275-1280.
- Justice AC, McGinnis KA, Skanderson M, Chang CC, Gibert CL, Goetz MB, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Oursler KK, Brown ST, Braithwaite RS, May M, Covinsky KE, Roberts MS, Fultz SL, Bryant KJ; VACS Project Team. Towards a combined prognostic index for survival in HIV infection: the role of 'non-HIV' biomarkers. HIV Med. 2010 Feb;11(2):143-151.
- Goetz MB, Hoang T, Knapp H, Burgess J, Fletcher M, Gifford AL, Asch SM, the QUERI-HIV/Hepatitis Program, Central Implementation Strategies Outperform Local Ones in Improving HIV Testing in Veterans Healthcare Administration Facilities. J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28:811-817.
- Goetz MB, Hoang T, Kan V, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M. Development and Validation of an Algorithm to Identify Patients Newly Diagnosed with HIV Infection from Electronic Health Records. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014; 30:626-33.
- Goetz MB, Hoang T, Kan V, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Asch SM. Rates and Predictors of Newly Diagnosed HIV infection among Veterans Receiving Routine Once-Per-Lifetime HIV Testing in the Veterans Health Administration. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015; 69:544-550.
- Scott J, Goetz MB. Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome in Older Adults. Clin Geriatr Med. 2016; 571–583.