Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director of Infectious Diseases Center
University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- Metabolic complications
- Cardiovascular disease
- Immune reconstitution syndrome
- Lactic acidosis
- Primary care of HIV
Dr Fichtenbaum is an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio. He is the Director of the Infectious Diseases Center and Co-Principal Investigator of the AIDS Clinical Trials Unit. Dr Fichtenbaum's research focus is on lipid disorders and cardiovascular disease in persons with HIV infection.
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Fellow, American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine
- Member, International AIDS Society
- Vice-Chair, Cardiovascular Subcommittee, AIDS Clinical Trials Group
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, BA/MD (1985)
- Bridgeport Hospital, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics (1985-1989)
- Bridgeport Hospital, Chief Medical Resident (1989-1990)
- Yale University, AIDS Fellow (1990-1991)
- Washington University, Infectious Diseases Fellow (1991-1994)
- Tantisiriwat W, Tebas P, Polish LB, Casabar E, Powderly WG, Fichtenbaum CJ. Elevated lactate levels in hospitalized persons with HIV infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2001;17:195-201.
- Riddle TM, Kuhel DG, Woollett LA, Fichtenbaum CJ, Hui DY. HIV protease inhibitor induces fatty acid and sterol biosynthesis in liver and adipose tissues due to the accumulation of activated sterol regulatory element-binding proteins in the nucleus. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:37514-37519.
- David MH, Fichtenbaum CJ. Evaluation and management of hyperlipidemia in HIV infection. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2001;10:7-13.
- Fichtenbaum CJ. The evaluation and management of dyslipidemia in HIV-infected patients. AIDS Clin Care. 2001;13:113-117, 120.
- Fichtenbaum CJ, Gerber JG, Rosenkranz SL, Segal Y, Aberg JA, Blaschke T, Alston B, Fang F, Kosel B, Aweeka F; NIAID AIDS Clinical Trials Group. Pharmacokinetic interactions between protease inhibitors and statins in HIV seronegative volunteers: ACTG Study A5047. AIDS. 2002;16:569-577.
- David MH, Hornung R, Fichtenbaum CJ. Ischemic cardiovascular disease in persons with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:98-102.
- Riddle TM, Schildmeyer NM, Phan C, Fichtenbaum CJ, Hui DY. The HIV protease inhibitor ritonavir increases lipoprotein production and has no effect on lipoprotein clearance in mice. J Lipid Res. 2002;43:1458-1463.
- Fichtenbaum CJ, Gerber JG. Interactions between antiretroviral drugs and drugs used for the therapy of the metabolic complications encountered during HIV infection. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2002;41:1195-1211.
- Riddle TM, Fichtenbaum CJ, Hui DY. Leptin replacement therapy but not dietary polyunsaturated fatty acid alleviates HIV protease inhibitor-induced dyslipidemia and lipodystrophy in mice. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003;33:564-570.
- Dube MP, Stein JH, Aberg JA, Fichtenbaum CJ, Gerber JG, Tashima KT, Henry WK, Currier JS, Sprecher D, Glesby MJ; Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group Cardiovascular Subcommittee; HIV Medical Association of the Infectious Disease Society of America. Guidelines for the evaluation and management of dyslipidemia in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected adults receiving antiretroviral therapy: recommendations of the HIV Medical Association of the Infectious Disease Society of America and the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:613-627.