Professor of Laboratory Medicine and Medicine
Director, Diagnostic Virology Laboratory
University of California San Francisco
Director, Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Mount Zion Medical Center
San Francisco, CA
- Diagnosis and treatment of cytomegalovirus infection
- Viral diagnosis
- Herpesvirus infections
Dr Drew directs the Clinical Virology Diagnostic Laboratory at UCSF and a research laboratory, concentrating on herpesviruses, especially cytomegalovirus.
- Member, Infectious Disease subcommittee, American Board of Internal Medicine
- President, Bay Area Infectious Disease Society
- Member, Infectious Disease Society of America
- Best Physicians, Bay Area (1997, 1999)
- Alumnus of the Year, Mt. Zion (1998)
- Alumnus of the Year, Jefferson Medical College (2000)
- Holy Cross, BA
- Jefferson Medical College, MD, PhD
- UCSF, Medicine, Residency
- University of Washington, Seattle, Fellow
- Cherrington JM, Fuller MD, Lamy PD, Miner RC, Lalezari JP, Nuessle S, Drew WL. In vitro antiviral susceptibilities of isolates from CMV retinitis patients receiving first- or second-line cidofovir therapy: relationship to clinical outcome. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:1821-1825.
- Mazzulli T, Drew WL, Yen-Lieberman B, Jekic-McMullen D, Kohn D, Isada C, Moussa G, Chua R, Walmsley S. Multicenter comparison of the Digene Hybrid Capture CMV DNA Assay (version 2.0) pp 65 antigenemia assay and cell culture for detection of cytomegalovirus viremia. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:958-963.
- Drew WL, Stempien MJ, Andrews J, Shadman A, Tan S-J, Miner RC, Buhles W. Cytomegalovirus resistance in patients with CMV retinitis and AIDS treated with oral or intravenous ganciclovir. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:1352-1355.
- Martin, DF, Kupperman BD, Wolitz RA, Palestine AG, Li H, Robinson CA, the Roche Ganciclovir Study Group. Oral ganciclovir in patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis treated with a ganciclovir implant: a randomized controlled clincial trial. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1063-1070.
- O'Sullivan C, Drew WL, McMullen D, Miner RC, Lee JY, Kaslow RA, Lazar J, Saag M. Decrease of cytomegalovirus replication in human immunodeficiency virus infected patients after treatment with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). J Infect Dis. 1999;180:847-849.
- USPHS/IDSA Working Group. 1999 USPHS/IDSA guidelines for the prevention of opportunistic infections in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Ann Intern Med.1999;131:873-908.
- Landry ML, Stanat S, Biron K, Brambilla D, Britt W, Jokela J, Chou S, Drew WL, et al. A standardized plaque reduction assay for determination of drug susceptibilities of cytomegalovirus clinical isolates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:688-692.
- Drew WL. Invited commentary. Ganciclovir resistance: a matter of time and titre. Lancet. 2000;356:609-610.
- Kalish LA, et al, for the Viral Activation Transfusion Study Group. Plasma human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 RNA load in men and women with advanced HIV-1 disease. J Infect Dis. 2000;182:603-606.
- Nichols WG, Corey L, Gooley T, Drew WL, Miner R, Huang M-L, Davis C, Boeckh M. Rising pp65 antigenemia during preemptive anticytomegalovirus therapy after allogenic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: risk factors, correlation with DNA load, and outcomes. Blood. Accepted for publication.