Professor of Clinical Pharmacy
Schools of Pharmacy and Family and Community Medicine
University of California San Francisco
Pharmacy Clinician, National HIV/AIDS Consultation Center
Family HIV/HCV Clinic
San Francisco General Hospital
San Francisco, CA
- Antiretroviral therapy (ART) pharmacokinetics
- Drug toxicity
- Currently completing AIDS Clinical Trial Group (ACTG) 5208 study on relationship of nevirapine pharmacokinetics and drug toxicity
- HIV - antiretroviral therapy (clinical use, drug toxicity, drug interactions), post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP), preexposure prophylaxis (PreP)
- Hepatitis C virus (HCV) - clinical use, new HCV agents
- Role of the pharmacist in HIV and HCV care
Dr Dong is a pharmacist expert for the National HIV/AIDS Consultation Center, which includes the HIV Warmline and the 24-hour PEPline and Perinatal Hotlines. She is a pharmacist for the Family Medicine HIV/HCV clinic, where she comanages antiretroviral (ARV) therapy, provides HCV therapy, and acts as pharmacy consultant for HIV providers. She provided HIV care and antiretroviral therapy to inmates at San Quentin Correctional facility for 2 years, until grant funding expired in September 2010. She provides didactic HIV and hypertension lectures to 3rd year pharmacy students, precept pharmacy students and residents, family medicine residents, and nurse practitioner students in ambulatory clinics.
- Editorial Advisory Board, American Public Health Association (ApHA) DrugInfoLine, Section Editor on HIV/AIDS, American Pharmaceutical Association
- Editorial Board on HIV/AIDS, Annals of Pharmacotherapy
- Invited Member, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Committee to draft a public document for management of HCV Screening, Management, and Implementation
- National Association of Boards of Pharmacy Advisory Committee on Examinations and Competency Committee
- Invited participant, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Guidelines on Postexposure Prophylaxis (2005)
- Distinguished Alumnus, UCSF (2010)
- Elected Fellow, American Society of Health System Pharmacists (2007)
- Clinical Practice Award, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (2005)
- Elected Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (2004)
- Pharmacist of the Year Award, California Society of Hospital Pharmacists (2001)
- Outstanding Preceptor of the Year, Division of Clinical Pharmacy, UCSF Pharmacy Residents (1990)
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Department of Family and Community Medicine Residency Program, San Francisco General Hospital (1988)
- Long Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching, School of Pharmacy, UCSF (1987)
- University of California School of Pharmacy, PharmD (1972)
- University of California School of Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacy Residency (1972)
- Dong BJ. HIV/AIDS. Pharmacists’ Letter Continuing Education Module (online), 2010.
- Sherman, EM, Cocohoba JM, Dong BJ. Raltegravir treatment intensification in two HIV patients with undetectable viremia but discordant CD4 response: Case report and review of the literature. Pharmacotherapy. In press as of Dec. 2010.
- Cocohoba J, Dong BJ. Raltegravir: the first HIV integrase inhibitor. Clin Ther. 2008;30:1747-1765.
- Saberi P, Caswell NH, Gruta CI, Tokumoto JN, Dong BJ. Immunologic benefits of enfuvirtide in patients enrolled in a drug assistance program. Ann Pharmacother. 2008;42:621-626.
- Dong BJ, Cocohoba JM. Tipranavir: a protease inhibitor for HIV salvage therapy. Ann Pharmacother. 2006;40:1311-1321.
- Clay PG, Dong BJ, Sorensen SJ, Tseng A, Romanelli F, Antoniou T. Advances in human immunodeficiency virus therapeutics. Ann Pharmacother. 2006;40:704-709.
- Lim ML, Dong BJ, Hart SL. Outcomes of dual-protease inhibitor salvage therapy in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients referred to a telephone consultation service. Pharmacotherapy. 2003;23:1100-1104.