Osher Foundation Distinguised Professor of Integrative Medicine
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
- Adherence to treatment
- Coping and quality of life while living with HIV/AIDS
- Prevention of transmission of HIV
Dr Chesney is a Professor of Medicine at University of California, San Francisco. She was formerly the Deputy Director for the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health at the National Institutes of Health.
- Co-Chair, Recruitment, Adherence, Retention Committee, AIDS Clinical Trials Group, NIH (1995–)
- Advisory Committee, Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health (1998–)
- Committee on Future Directions for Behavioral and Social Science Research at the National Institutes of Health, National Academy of Sciences (1998–)
- Working Group on Bio-behavioral-social Perspectives on Health, NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research and the Social Sciences Center (1998–)
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Health and Behavior: Research, Practice and Policy (1998–)
- Outstanding Scientist, Society of Behavioral Medicine, 2012
- Directors Award, NCCIH, NCCAM
- Charles C. Shepard Science Award, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1999)
- President's Award, Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research (1987)
- Whitman College, BA, Psychology and Sociology (1971)
- Colorado State University, MS, PhD, Clincal Psychology (1975)
- Temple University, Post-doctoral Fellow (1976)
- Chesney MA, Folkman S. The psychosocial management of HIV disease in adults. In: Holmes K, Sparling P, Mardh P, Lemon S, Stamm W, Piot P, Wasserheit J, eds. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 3rd ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1999.
- Chesney MA, Ickovics J, Hecht FM, Sikipa G, Rabkin J. Adherence: a necessity for successful HIV combination therapy. AIDS. 1999;13(suppl A): S271-S278.
- Chesney MA, Smith AW. Critical delays in HIV testing and care: the potential role of stigma. American Behavioral Scientist. 1999;42:1162-1174.
- Chesney MA. Factors affecting adherence to antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;30(suppl 2):S171-S176.
- Chesney MA, Ickovics JR, Chambers DB, Gifford AL, Neidig J, Zwickl B, Wu AW, Patient Care Committee, Adherence Working Group of the Outcomes Committee of the AACTG. Self-reported adherence to antiretroviral medications among participants in HIV clinical trials: the AACTG Adherence Instruments. AIDS Care. 2000;12:255-266.
- Chesney MA, Morin M, Sherr L. Adherence to HIV combination therapy. Soc Sci Med. 2000;50:1599-1605.
- Hecht FM, Chesney MA, Lehman JS, Osmond D, Vranizan K, Colman S, Keane D, Reingold A, Bindman AB, the MESH Study Group. Does HIV reporting by name deter testing? AIDS. 2000;14:1-8.
- Bangsberg DR, Hecht FM, Charlebois ED, Zolopa AR, Holodniy M, Sheiner L, Chesney MA, Moss A. Adherence to protease inhibitors, viral load, and development of drug resistance in an indigent population. AIDS. 2000;14:357-366.
- Chesney MA, Thurston RC, Thomas KA. Creating social and public health environments to sustain behavior change: lessons from obesity research. In: Schneiderman N, Gentry J, da Silva JM, Speers M, Tomes H, eds. Integrating Behavioral and Social Sciences with Public Health. Washington, DC: APA; In press.
- Ironson G, Antoni M, Schneiderman N, Chesney MA, O'Cleirigh C, Balbin E, Greenwood D, Lutgendorf S, LaPerriere A, Klimas N, Fletcher M. Coping: interventions for optimal disease management. In: Chesney M, Antoni M, eds. Health Psychology Interventions: New Target Populations for Prevention and Care. Washington, DC: APA; In press.