Professor of Medicine
Duke University Medical Center
Duke University Infectious Diseases Clinic
- Strategies of antiretroviral treatment
- Treatment relapse
- Novel antiretroviral agents
- Immunologic reconstitution
Dr Bartlett is a Professor of Medicine and Principal Investigator at Duke University Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group. He is also Medical Director of the Duke University Infectious Diseases Clinic.
- Executive Committee, Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG)
- HIV Disease Research Agenda Committee, ACTG
- Core Curriculum Committee, HIV Medicine Association
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Community Service Award, Durham Orange County Medical Society (2000)
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Duke University Medical Center (2000)
- Golden Apple Testing Award (1992–1997)
- Eugene Stead Teaching Award (1989)
- Harvard College, AB (1977)
- University of Virginia, MD (1981)
- Duke University Medical Center, Medicine Residency (1981–1984)
- Duke University Medical Center, Infectious Diseases Fellowship (1984–1987)
- Bartlett JA, Benoit SL, Johnson VA, Quinn JB, Sepulveda GE, Ehmann WC, Tsoukas C, Fallon MA, Self PL, Rubin M. Lamivudine plus zidovudine compared with zalcitabine plus zidovudine in patients with HIV infection. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. North American HIV Working Party. Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:161-172.
- Phillips AN, Eron JJ, Bartlett JA, Rubin M, Johnson J, Price S, Self P, Hill AM. HIV-1 RNA levels and the development of clinical disease. North American Lamivudine HIV Working Group. AIDS. 1996;10:859-865.
- Bartlett JA, Wasserman SS, Hicks CB, Dodge RT, Weinhold KJ, Tacket CO, Ketter N, Wittek AE, Palker TJ, Haynes BF. Safety and immunogenicity of an HLA-based HIV envelope polyvalent synthetic peptide immunogen. DATRI 010 Study Group. Division of AIDS Treatment Research Initiative. AIDS. 1998;12:1291-1300.
- Bartlett JA, DeMasi R, Dawson D, Hill A. Variability in repeated consecutive measurements of plasma human immunodeficiency virus RNA in persons receiving stable nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor therapy or no treatment. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:1803-1805.
- Haynes BF, Hale LP, Weinhold KJ, Patel DD, Liao HX, Bressler PB, Jones DM, Demarest JF, Gebhard-Mitchell K, Haase AT, Bartlett JA. Analysis of the adult thymus in reconstitution of T lymphocytes in HIV-1 infection. J Clin Invest. 1999;103:921.
- Keitz SA, Box TL, Homan RK, Bartlett JA, Oddone EZ. Primary care for patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus: a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2001;16:573-582.
- Wellons MF, Ottinger JS, Weinhold KJ, Gryszowka V, Sanders LL, Edwards LJ, Gooding ME, Thomasch JR, Bartlett JA. Immunologic profile of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients during viral remission and relapse on antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis. 2001;183:1522-1525.
- Bartlett JA, DeMasi R, Quinn J, Moxham C, Rousseau F. Overview of the effectiveness of triple combination therapy in antiretroviral-naive HIV-1 infected adults. AIDS. 2001;15:1369-1377.
- Ortiz GM, Wellons M, Brancato J, Vo HT, Zinn RL, Clarkson DE, van Loon K, Bonhoeffer S, Miralles GD, Montefiori D, Bartlett JA, Nixon DF. Structured antiretroviral treatment interruptions in chronically HIV-1-infected subjects. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2001;98:13288-13293.
- Markert L, Africa P, Alvarez-McLeod, Sempowski G, Hale L, Horvatinovich J, Weinhold K, Bartlett JA, D'Amico T, Haynes B. Thymopoiesis in HIV-infected adults after highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. In press.