Associate Professor of Medicine
Columbia University Medical Center
New York, New York
- HIV therapy and metabolic complications
Dr Yin is the Florence Irving Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases. His primary research focus is on the metabolic complications of HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy. He is the Principal Investigator of a NIAID-funded R01 to examine the effects of the menopausal transition on bone and muscle outcomes in HIV-infected women in the Women’s Interagency HIV study (WIHS), utilizing imaging and biomarker techniques, novel in vitro bone precursor cell assays and assessment of muscle mass, quality and functional performance. He is the Co-Principal Investigator of a NICHD-funded R01 to examine bone health in perinatally HIV-infected children on antiretrovirals in South Africa. As a member of the Bone and Metabolic Working Groups for the WIHS, Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS) and AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG), Dr Yin is involved in other studies on bone, fracture, and other metabolic complications in HIV-infected individuals. He is the Co-Chair of ACTG 5280, a study to evaluate whether high dose vitamin D supplementation mitigates the bone loss associated with initiation of antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected individuals. He is also a site investigator for the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN) and is Chair of HVTN 404 and Co-chair of HVTN 505.
- Yin M, Dobkin J, Brudney K, et al. Bone mass and mineral metabolism in HIV+ postmenopausal women. Osteoporosis Int. 2005; 16(11):1345-1352.
- Modarresi R, Xiang Z, Yin M, Laurence J. WNT/beta-catenin signaling in regulation of osteoclast differentiation by human immunodeficiency virus protease inhibitor ritonavir: relationship to human immunodeficiency virus-linked bone mineral loss. Am J of Pathol. 2009; 174(5)123-145.
- Yin MT, McMahon D, Ferris D, et al. Low bone mass and highbone turnover in postmenopausal HIV-infected women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95(2):620-629.
- Yin MT, Lu D, Cremers S, Tien PC, Cohen MH, Shi Q, Shane E, Golub ET, Anastos K. Short-term bone loss in HIV-infected premenopausal women. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;53(2):202-208.
- Yin MT, Shi Q, Hoover DR, et al. Fracture incidence in HIV infected women: results from the Women’s HIV Interagency Study. AIDS. 2010 13;24(17):2679-2686.
- Yin MT, Modarresi R, Shane E, et al. Effects of HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy with ritonavir on bone turnover and osteoclast induction. Osteoporosis Int. 2011;22(5): 1459-1468.
- Stein E, Yin MT, McMahon DJ, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in HIV-infected postmenopausal Hispanic and African-American women. Osteoporosis Int. 2011;22(2): 477-487.
- Yin MT, Zhang CA, McMahon DJ, et al. Higher rates of bone loss in postmenopausal HIV-infected women: A longitudinal study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97(2):554-562.
- Shu A, Yin MT, Stein E, et al. Bone structure and turnover in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Osteoporosis Int. 2012;23(2):635-641.
- Myers JE, Myers R, Wheat MW, Yin MT. Dental students and bloodborne pathogens: occupational exposures, knowledge, attitudes. J Dent Educ. 2012;76(4): 479-486.
- Kubin CJ, Ellman T, Phadke V, Haynes LJ, Calfee DP, Yin MT. Incidence and predictors of acute kidney injury associated with intravenous polymyxin B therapy. J Infect. 2012;65(1) 80-87.
- Thomas T, Broun EC, Abildskov KM, Kubin CJ, Yin MT, Cremers SC. High performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) assay for polymyxin B1 and B2. Ther Drug Monit. 2012;34(4):398-405.
- Yin MT, Kendall MA, Wu X, et al. Fractures after antiretroviral initiation: An analysis of the ACTG longitudinal linked randomized trial (ALLRT) study. AIDS. 2012 Aug 28 (Epub ahead of print).