Professor and Vice Chair of Faculty
Department of Medicine
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases
University of California San Diego
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System
- HIV cure strategies
- HIV prevention strategies
- Gay Men's Health and Transgender Health
Dr Smith graduated from East Tennessee State University, College of Medicine, in 1996. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Medical Center in 1999 and became Chief Medical Resident in 2000. He completed a fellowship in Infectious Diseases at UCSD in 2003 and a Master’s degree in Clinical Research. He received the HIV Medical Association Research Award in 2010 and the NIDA Avant Garde award in HIV Prevention in 2012. He is now a Professor of Medicine at UCSD, and Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases in 2017. His areas of research interest are the transmission of HIV (including HIV superinfection and HIV in the genital tract); HIV reservoirs and cure; and transgender and gay healthcare.
- Member, Infectious Disease Society of America and HIV Medical Association
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Clinical Investigation
- Elected American Society of Clinical Investigation (2015)
- Fellow American College of Physicians (2015)
- NIDA Avant Garde award in HIV Prevention (2012)
- HIVMA Research Award, Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010)
- Dr A. Brad Truax Award (for outstanding achievement in the area of HIV/AIDS service), County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency (2009)
- “40 Under 40” Award (honoring young San Diego leaders), San Diego Metropolitan magazine (2008)
- Men’s Volunteer of the Year, The San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Community Center (2001)
- Elected to AOA Medical Honor Society (Junior Year), East Tennessee State University (1995)
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, BS, Biology, Summa Cum Laude (1992)
- East Tennessee State University College of Medicine, MD (1996)
- University of California San Diego, Residency, Internal Medicine (1996-1999)
- University of California San Diego, Chief Resident, Internal Medicine (1999-2000)
- University of California San Diego, Fellow, Infectious Diseases (2000-2003)
- University of California San Diego, MAS, Clinical Research (2002-2005)
Günthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, del Rio C, Eron JJ, Gallant JE, Hoy JF, Mugavero MJ, Sax PE, Thompson MA, Gandhi RT, Landovitz RJ, Smith DM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults: 2016 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA. 2016;316(2):191-21
Smith DM, Nakazawa M, Freeman ML, Anderson CM, Oliveira MF, Little SJ, Gianella S. Asymptomatic CMV Replication During Early Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection Is Associated With Lower CD4/CD8 Ratio During HIV Treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2016;63(11):1517-24.
Wang X, Wu Y, Mao L, Xia W, Zhang W, Dai, L, Mehta SR, Dong X, Zhang T, Wu H, Smith DM. Targeting HIV Prevention Based on Molecular Epidemiology Among Deeply Sampled Subnetworks of Men Who Have Sex With Men. Clin Infect Dis, 2015; 61(9):1462-8.
Mehta SR, Wertheim JO, Brouwer KC, Wagner KD, Chaillon A, Strathdee S, Patterson TL, Rangel MG, Vargas M, Murrell B, Garfein R, Little SJ, Smith DM. HIV Transmission Networks in the San Diego–Tijuana Border Region. EBioMedicine 2015 Jul; 2(10):1456-63.
Aldous JL, Pond SK, Poon A, Jain S, Qin H, Kahn JS, Kitahata M, Rodriguez B, Dennis AM, Boswell SL, Haubrich R, Smith DM. Characterizing HIV Transmission Networks Across the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Jul 26.
Pacold ME, Pond SL, Wagner GA, Delport W, Bourque DL, Richman DD, Little SJ, Smith DM. Clinical, virologic, and immunologic correlates of HIV-1 intraclade B dual infection among men who have sex with men. AIDS. 2012 Jan 14;26(2):157-65 (PMID: 22045341).
van Zyl GU, Preiser W, Potschka S, Lundershausen AT, Haubrich R, Smith D. Pooling strategies to reduce the cost of HIV-1 RNA load monitoring in a resource-limited setting. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:264-270.
Morris SR, Little SJ, Cunningham T, Garfein RS, Richman DD, Smith DM. Evaluation of an HIV nucleic acid testing program with automated Internet and voicemail systems to deliver results. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152:778-785.
Butler DM, Delport W, Kosakovsky Pond SL, Lakdawala MK, Cheng PM, Little SJ, Richman DD, Smith DM. The origins of sexually transmitted HIV among men who have sex with men. Sci Transl Med. 2010;2:18re1.
Smith DM, May SJ, Pérez-Santiago J, et al. The use of pooled viral load testing to identify antiretroviral treatment failure. AIDS. 2009;23:2151-2158.
Smith DM, May SJ, Tweeten S, et al. A public health model for the molecular surveillance of HIV transmission in San Diego, California. AIDS. 2009;23:225-232.
Butler DM, Smith DM. Serosorting can potentially increase HIV transmissions. AIDS. 2007;21:1218-1220.
Smith DM, Strain MC, Frost SD, et al. Lack of neutralizing antibody response to HIV-1 predisposes to superinfection. Virology. 2006;355:1-5.
Pillai SK, Good B, Pond SK, Wong JK, Strain MC, Richman DD, Smith DM. Semen-specific genetic characteristics of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 env. J Virol. 2005;79:1734-1742.
Smith DM, Wong JK, Hightower GK, et al. Incidence of HIV superinfection following primary infection. JAMA. 2004;292:1177-1178.
An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
An Advanced CME Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
Günthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, del Rio C, Eron JJ, Gallant JE, Hoy JF, Mugavero MJ, Sax PE, Thompson MA, Gandhi RT, Landovitz RJ, Smith DM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults 2016 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2016.