Director, Department of Infectious Diseases
Director, 1st Division of Infectious Diseases and Allergy
Luigi Sacco Hospital
- AIDS in Africa
- Antiretroviral therapy (early treatment, surrogate markers)
- AIDS-related tumors
Dr Rizzardini is the Director of the Department of Infectious Diseases at the Luigi Sacco Hospital.
As an AIDS clinician at the University of Milan, Dr Rizzardini first began working in Uganda in 1985, shortly after finishing his medical degree. He ended up joining St. Mary's-Lacor Hospital, which then was run by Piero Corti, an Italian pediatrician, and Lucille Teasdale, a surgeon. Although Corti is still in charge, Teasdale, who became infected by HIV during surgery, since has died from AIDS.
- Member, Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- Member, Scietific Review Committee dell' European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (2006-present)
- Member, Ethic Committee, Ospedale Luigi Sacco (1999-present)
- Member, Therapeutic Commission, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedale di Circolo di Busto Arsizio (2000-2006)
- Member, Ethic Committee, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedale di Circolo di Busto Arsizio (2005-2008)
- Member, Ministry of Health, National Commission on HIV/AIDS (2006-present)
- Regional Commission on AIDS and STDs (2007-present)
- Member, Ethic Committee, Ospedale Niguarda (2009-present)
- Reviewer of publishing for international scietific journals (AIDS, HIV Clinical Trials, Digestive and Liver Disease, JAMA)
- Member, Italian Society of Infectious Diseases
- Member, GICAT (Gruppo Italiano AIDS e Tumori)
- Member, European Interstudy Group on AIDS and Tumours
- Member, International Immunocompromised Host Society
- Member, International AIDS Society
- University of Pavia, Internal Medicine Clinic III, Internship (1980-1983)
- University of Pavia, Medical Degree (1984)
- University of Pavia, Internal Medicine Clinic III, Residency (1984-1985)
- University of Milan, Board Certified in Infectious Diseases (1990)
- University of Milan, Board Certified in Chemotherapy (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, AIDS Service, Certificate of AIDS Training (1998)
- Tirelli U, Errante D, Oksenhendler E, Vaccher E, Rizzardini G, Monfardini S, Gisselbrecht C. The treatment of AIDS-Related lymphoma. JAMA. 1992;267(4): 509-510.
- Rizzardini G, Piconi S, Ruzzante S, Fusi ML, Lukwiya M, Declich S, Tamburini M, Villa ML, Fabiani M, Milazzo F, Clerici M. Immunological activation markers in the serum of African and European HIV-seropositive and seronegative individuals. AIDS. 1996;10:1535-42.
- Rizzardini G, Trabattoni D, Saresella M, Piconi S, Lukwiya M, Declich S, Fabiani M, Ferrante P, Clerici M. Immune activation in HIV-infected African individuals. Italian-Ugandan AIDS cooperation program. AIDS. 1998;12(18):2387-96.
- Rizzardini G, Lukwija M Declich S, Clerici M. Immune activation and plasma viral load in HIV-infected African Individuals. AIDS. 1999;13:1285.
- Clerici M, Butto S, Lukwiya M, Saresella M, Declich S, Trabattoni D, Pastori C, Piconi S, Fracasso C, Fabiani M, Ferrante P, Rizzardini G, Lopalco L. Immune activation in Africa is environmentally-driven and is associated with upregulation of CCR5. Italian-Ugandan AIDS Project. AIDS. 2000 Sep 29;14(14):2083-92.
- Lukwiya M, Rizzardini G, Trabattoni D, Piconi S, Saresella M, Declich S, Fossati S, Clerici M. Evaluation of immune activation in HIV-infected and uninfected African individuals by single-cell analysis of cytokine production. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2001 Dec 15;28(5):429-36.
- Clerici M, Boasso A, Rizzardini G, Deshpande A, Biasin M. AIDS in Africa. Lancet. 2002 Nov 2;360(9343):1424.
- Mounier N, Spina M, Gabarre J, Raphael M, Rizzardini G, Golfier JB, Vaccher E, Carbone A, Coiffier B, Chichino G, Bosly A, Tirelli U, Gisselbrecht C. AIDS-related non-Hodgkin lymphoma: final analysis of 485 patients treated with risk-adapted intensive chemotherapy. Blood. 2006 May 15;107(10):3832-40.
- Orlando G, Tanzi E, Beretta R, Amendola A, Fasolo MM, Bianchi S, Cellerino P, Mazza F, Zappa A, Rizzardini G. Human papillomavirus genotypes and anal-related lesions among HIV-1-infected men in Milan, Italy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Jan 1;47(1):129-31.
- Micheli V, Regazzi M, Dickinson L, Meraviglia P, Villani P, Khoo SH, Viganò P, Cordier L, Cusato M, Duca P, Orlando G, Rizzardini G, Back DJ, Cargnel A. Lopinavir/ritonavir pharmacokinetics in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients with or without cirrhosis.Ther Drug Monit. 2008 Jun;30(3):306-13.
- Rizzardini G, Fabiani M, Declich S, Clerici M. HIV and malaria: an immunologic perspective. HIV Clin Trials. 2008 Mar-Apr; 9(2):137-9.
- Capetti AF, Piconi S, Landonio S, Rizzardini G, Perno CF. Is dual therapy with raltegravir and protease inhibitors a feasible option in rescue strategy in HIV-1 infection? J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 Feb 1;50(2):233-4.
- Orlando G, Beretta R, Fasolo MM, Amendola A, Bianchi S, MAzza F, Rizzardini G, Tanzi E. Anal HPV genotypes and related displasic lesions in Italian and foreign born high-risk males. Vaccine. 2009;27:A24–A29.