Professor of Medicine, International Health, Epidemiology, Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, and Pathology
The Johns Hopkins University
Section Head, International HIV/Sexually Transmitted Diseases Research Laboratory
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
- Molecular epidemiology of HIV
- Acute primary HIV
- International aspects of HIV and AIDS
- HIV and sexually transmitted diseases
Dr Quinn is the Section Head of International HIV/Sexually Transmitted Diseases Research at the National Institutes of Health and a professor at The Johns Hopkins University. He directs the P3 HIV/AIDS Research Facility and the International Sexually Transmitted Diseases Research Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University.
- Member, Academic Alliance for AIDS Care and Research
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP)
- Member, Association of American Physicians
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Member, American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Dowling Memorial Visiting Professorship, University of Illinois Medical Center (2002)
- Harold C. Neu Visiting Professorship, Columbia University (2003)
- Harry C. Dascomb Memorial Visiting Scholar Lectureship, Louisiana State University (2003)
- Plenary Lectureship, 12th Annual Canadian Conference on HIV/AIDS Research, Nova Scotia, Canada (2003)
- Morris M. Gollow Keynote Lectureship, Australasian Sexual Health Conference (2004)
- University of Notre Dame, Indiana, BS Biology, Cum Laude
- University of Notre Dame, Indiana, MS Parasitology
- Northwestern University School of Medicine, MD
- Quinn TC, Mann JM, Curran JW, Piot P. AIDS in Africa: an epidemiologic paradigm. Science. 1986;234:955-963.
- Sewankambo N, Gray RH, Wawer MJ, Paxton L, McNaim D, Wabwire-Mangen F, Serwadda D, Li C, Kiwanuka N, Hillier SL, Rabe L, Gaydos CA, Quinn TC, Konde-Lule J. HIV-1 infection associated with abnormal vaginal flora morphology and bacterial vaginosis. Lancet. 1997;350:546-550.
- Chun TW, Carruth L, Finzi D, Shen X, DiGiuseppe JA, Taylor H, Hermankova M, Chadwick K, Margolick J, Quinn TC, Kuo YH, Brookmeyer R, Zeiger MA, Barditch-Crovo P, Siliciano RF. Quantification of latent tissue reservoirs and total body viral load in HIV-1 infection. Nature. 1997;183-188.
- Wawer MJ, Sewankambo NK, Serwadda D, Quinn TC, Paxton LA, Kiwanuka N, Wabwire-Mangen F, Li C, Lutalo T, Nalugoda F, Gaydos CA, Moulton LH, Meehan MO, Ahmed S, Gray RH. Control of sexually transmitted diseases for AIDS prevention in Uganda: a randomised community trial. Rakai Project Study Group. Lancet. 1999;353:525-535.
- Quinn TC, Wawer MJ, Sewankambo N, Serwadda D, Li C, Wabwire-Mangen F, Meehan MO, Lutalo T, Gray RH. Viral load and heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Rakai Project Study Group. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:921-929.
- Gray RH, Kiwanuka N, Quinn TC, Sewankambo NK, Serwadda D, Mangen FW, Lutalo T, Nalugoda F, Kelly R, Meehan M, Chen MZ, Li C, Wawer MJ. Male circumcision and HIV acquisition and transmission: cohort studies in Rakai, Uganda. Rakai Project Team. AIDS. 2000;14:2371-2381.
- Sterling TR, Vlahov D, Astemborski J, Hoover DR, Margolick JB, Quinn TC. Initial plasma HIV-1 RNA levels and progression to AIDS in women and men. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:720-725.
- Gray RH, Wawer MJ, Brookmeyer R, Sewankambo NK, Serwadda D, Wabwire-Mangen F, Lutalo T, Li X, vanCott T, Quinn TC; Rakai Project Team. Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous, heterosexual, HIV-1-discordant couples in Rakai, Uganda. Lancet. 2001;357:1149-1153.
- Reynolds SJ, Bartlett JG, Quinn TC, Beyrer C, Bollinger RC. Antiretroviral therapy where resources are limited. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1806-1809.
- Siliciano JD, Kajdas J, Finzi D, Quinn TC, Chadwick K, Margolick JB, Kovacs C, Gange SJ, Siliciano RF. Long-term follow-up studies confirm the stability of the latent reservoir for HIV-1 in resting CD4+ T cells. Nat Med. 2003;9:727-728.
- Spacek LA, Griswold M, Quinn TC, Moore RD. Total lymphocyte count and hemoglobin combined in an algorithm to initiate the use of highly active antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings. AIDS. 2003;17:1311-1317.
- Serwadda D, Gray RH, Sewankambo NK, Wabwire-Mangen F, Chen MZ, Quinn TC, Lutalo T, Kiwanuka N, Kigozi G, Nalugoda F, Meehan MP, Ashley Morrow R, Wawer MJ. Human immunodeficiency virus acquisition associated with genital ulcer disease and herpes simplex virus type 2 infection: a nested case-control study in Rakai, Uganda. J Infect Dis. 2003;188:1492-1497.
- Gray RH, Li X, Wawer MJ, Gange SJ, Serwadda D, Sewankambo NK, Moore R, Wabwire-Mangen F, Lutalo T, Quinn TC; Rakai Project Group. Stochastic simulation of the impact of antiretroviral therapy and HIV vaccines on HIV transmission; Rakai, Uganda. AIDS. 2003;17:1941-1951.
- Corey L, Wald A, Celum CL, Quinn TC. The Effects of Herpes Simplex Virus-2 on HIV-1 Acquisition and Transmission: A Review of Two Overlapping Epidemics. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;35:435-445.
- Gray RH, Li X, Wawer MJ, Serwadda D, Sewankambo NK, Wabwire-Mangen F, Lutalo T, Kiwanuka N, Kigozi G, Nalugoda F, Meehan MP, Robb M, Quinn TC. Determinants of HIV-1 load in subjects with early and later HIV infections, in a general-population cohort of Rakai, Uganda. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:1209-1215.