Gould Professor of Medicine
Director, Division of Digestive Diseases
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Viral hepatitis
- Liver disease in HIV
Dr Sherman is the Gould Professor of Medicine at University of Cincinnati and serves as the Director of the Hepatitis Research Group (HRG). He is a member of the IAS–USA viral hepatitis advisory board.
- AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG), Hepatitis Committee Chair (2008–2011)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
- Donald Glue Award for Research, George Washington University
- Busch Pre-doctoral Fellowship, Waksman Institute of Microbiology, Rutgers University
- William Beaumont Award, US Army
- Tim Gill Distinguished Lecturer, Univ. of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 2012
- Rutgers University, BS (1976)
- Rutgers University, PhD (1980)
- George Washington University, MD (1985)
- Sherman KE, Andersen JW, Butt AA, et al. Sustained long-term antiviral maintenance therapy in HCV/HIV-coinfected patients (SLAM-C). JAIDS. 2010. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sherman KE, Shire NJ, Rouster SD, et al. Viral kinetics in hepatitis C or hepatitis C/human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:313-327.
- Fleischer R, Boxwell D, Sherman KE. Nucleoside analogues and mitochondrial toxicity. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:e79-e80.
- Chung RT, Evans SR, Yang Y, Theodore D, Valdez H, Clark R, Shikuma C, Nevin T, Sherman KE, AIDS Clinical Trials Group 383 Study Team. Immune recovery is associated with persistent rise in hepatitis C virus RNA, infrequent liver test flares, and is not impaired by hepatitis C virus in co-infected subjects. AIDS. 2002;16:1915-1923.
- Sherman KE, Rouster SD, Chung RT, Rajicic N. Hepatitis C Virus prevalence among patients infected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus: a cross-sectional analysis of the US adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:831-837.
- Zucker SD, Qin X, Rouster SD, Yu F, Green RM, Keshavan P, Feinberg J, Sherman KE. Mechanism of indinavir-induced hyperbilirubinemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2001;98:12671-12676.
- Bessesen M, Ives D, Condreay L, Lawrence S, Sherman KE. Chronic active hepatitis B exacerbations in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients following development of resistance to or withdrawal of lamivudine. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;28:1032-1035.
- Sherman KE, Creager RL, O'Brien J, Sargent S, Piacentini S, Thieme T. The use of oral fluid for hepatitis C antibody screening. Am J Gastroenterol. 1994;89:2025-2027.
- Sherman KE, O'Brien J, Gutierrez AG, et al. Quantitative evaluation of hepatitis C virus RNA in patients with concurrent human immunodeficiency virus infections. J Clin Microbiol. 1993;31:2679-2682.
- Sherman KE, Freeman S, Harrison S, Andron L. Prevalence of antibody to hepatitis C virus in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. J Infect Dis. 1991;163:414-415.