Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Medical Director, Liver Transplant Program
UC San Diego Health System
San Diego, CA
- Recurrent hepatitis C virus (HCV) after liver transplantation
- Liver transplant outcomes
- HCV treatment
- Management of complications of end-stage liver disease
Dr Kuo is an attending physician at the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Medical Center who specializes in hepatology and liver transplantation. He is Medical Director of the UCSD Liver Transplant Program. Dr Kuo conducts clinical trials in new agents for HCV through a collaboration with the UCSD Antiviral Research Center. He is also active in the medical education of fellows and residents, and teaches courses for medical students on complications of cirrhosis and other hepatology topics.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacology 2012 Meeting Co-Chair,
HCV Symposium (with Shirley Tsunoda, PharmD)
- UCSD Gastroenterology Fellows Excellence in Clinical Teaching Award (2009-2010)
- Kuo A, Dienstag JL, Chung RT. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for the treatment of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;2:266-272.
- Kuo A, Terrault NA. Management of hepatitis C in liver transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2006;6:449-458.
- Kuo A, Terrault NA. Antiviral therapy in liver transplant recipients: is SVR the only endpoint that matters? J Hepatol. 2007;46:359-361.
- Kuo A, Tan V, Lan B, et al. Long-term histological effects of preemptive antiviral therapy in liver transplant recipients with hepatitis C virus infection. Liver Transpl. 2008;14:1491-1497.
- Kuo A, Terrault NA. Is recurrent hepatitis C worse with living donors? Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2009;14:240-244.
- Kuo A, Terrault NA. Hepatitis C and living donor liver transplantation. In: Mukherjee S, ed. Hepatitis C and liver transplantation. Nova Science Publishers; 2010:115-125.
- Kuo A, Gish R. Chronic hepatitis B infection. Clin Liv Dis. 2012 May;16(2):347-369.