Professor of Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology
University Hospital Basel
HIV, General Infectious Diseases, Infectious Diseases in developing countries, Teaching in HIV/Infectious Diseases
- Initiation, first switch of antiretroviral therapy, and response to antiretroviral therapy (ART)
- Immune recovery
- CD4+ and specific immune recovery (translational research)
- Pathophysiological studies on immune reconstitution
- Patient-doctor relationship
- Antiretroviral treatment, in particular choice of regimens
- Concepts of immune reconstitution
- Immune recovery
- Operational research with developing countries
Dr Battegay is Professor of Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine and Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology at the University Hospital Basel. Since 1988, he has worked in the field of HIV/AIDS as a clinician with active research, focusing on the clinical course of HIV. Since 1994, Dr Battegay has been an active member of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study Group. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the European AIDS Clinical Society (EACS) and became its vice president in 2008. From December 2012 on he acts as the Presiedent of EACS and is co-chair of the EACS Brussels 2013 conference
- Swiss Association for Medicine (1986-present)
- American Society for Microbiology (1993-present)
- American Association of Immunologists (1994-present)
- International AIDS Society (1997-present)
- Swiss Society for Infectious Diseases (1998-present)
- Scientifc Board of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study Group (1996-present)
- Cochairman, Scientific Board of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study Group (1997-1998)
- Chairman, Scientific Board of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study Group (1998-2002)
- Member, Governing Board, European AIDS Clinical Society, EACS (2006-present)
- Vice President, EACS (2008-2012)
- President, EACS (2012-2016)
- Co-Chair, EACS Brussles 2013 conference
- Swiss Society for Infectious Diseases Award, Epidemiological Research (2010)
- Conrad-Gessner Award - Infectious Diseases, Swiss Society of Internal Medicine (1993)
- University of Basel, Faculty of Medicine (1979-1985)
- National Board Examination, MD (1985)
- Swiss Association for Medicine, Board Certification in Internal Medicine (1992)
- Swiss Association for Medicine, Board Certification in Infectious Diseases (1999)
- University of Basel, Medical Faculty, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine (2002)
Elzi L, Erb S, Furrer H, Ledergerber B, Cavassini M, Hirschel B, Vernazza P, Bernasconi E, Weber R, Battegay M; for the Swiss HIV Cohort Study.Choice of Initial Combination Antiretroviral Therapy in Individuals With HIV Infection: Determinants and Outcomes. Arch Intern Med. 2012
- Bucher HC, Rickenbach M, Young J, Glass TR, Vallet Y, Bernasconi E, Cavassini M, Fux C, Schiffer V, Vernazza P, Weber R, Battegay M. Randomized trial of a computerized coronary heart disease risk assessment tool in HIV-infected patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy. Antivir Ther. 2010;15:31-40.
- Elzi L, Marzolini C, Furrer H, Ledergerber B, Cavassini M, Hirschel B, Vernazza P, Bernasconi E, Weber R, Battegay M. Treatment modification in human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals starting combination antiretroviral therapy between 2005 and 2008. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170:57-65.
- Marzolini C, Elzi L, Gibbons S, Weber R, Fux C, Furrer H, Chave JP, Cavassini M, Bernasconi E, Calmy A, Vernazza P, Khoo S, Ledergerber B, Back D, Battegay M. Prevalence of comedications and effect of potential drug-drug interactions in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Antivir Ther. 2010;15:413-423.
- Khanna N, Elzi L, Mueller NJ, Garzoni C, Cavassini M, Fux CA, Vernazza P, Bernasconi E, Battegay M, Hirsch HH. Incidence and outcome of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy over 20 years of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:1459-1466.
- Khanna N, Wolbers M, Mueller NJ, Garzoni C, Du Pasquier RA, Fux CA, Vernazza P, Bernasconi E, Viscidi R, Battegay M, Hirsch HH. JC virus-specific immune responses in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 patients with progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. J Virol. 2009;83:4404-4411.
- Wolbers M, Bucher HC, Furrer H, Rickenbach M, Cavassini M, Weber R, Schmid P, Bernasconi E, Hirschel B, Battegay M. Delayed diagnosis of HIV infection and late initiation of antiretroviral therapy in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. HIV Med. 2008;9:397-405.
- Gasser O, Bihl FK, Wolbers M, Loggi E, Steffen I, Hirsch HH, Günthard HF, Walker BD, Brander C, Battegay M, Hess C. HIV patients developing primary CNS lymphoma lack EBV-specific CD4+ T cell function irrespective of absolute CD4+ T cell counts. PLoS Med. 2007;4:e96.
- Kaufmann GR, Furrer H, Ledergerber B, Perrin L, Opravil M, Vernazza P, Cavassini M, Bernasconi E, Rickenbach M, Hirschel B, Battegay M. Characteristics, determinants, and clinical relevance of CD4 T cell recovery to <500 cells/microL in HIV type 1-infected individuals receiving potent antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;41:361-372.