Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Director, HIV Program, Healthcare Associates
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Primary care issues in HIV disease
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Dr Libman's career has focused on caring for persons with HIV disease and educating clinicians and patients. He has authored review articles, textbooks, and multimedia resources on this topic. He is co-editor of the textbook, HIV, by the American College of Physicians. He is a member of the Infectious Diseases Society of America national expert panel on HIV primary care guidelines, which were published in Clinical Infectious Diseases in 2004 and updated in 2009. He is clinical director of the New England AIDS Education and Training Center. He also directs the Harvard Medical School AIDS Initiative in Vietnam, which trains Vietnamese clinicians in the care of HIV-infected patients.
- Clinical Director, New England AIDS Education and Training Center (1988-present)
- Member, National Expert Panel on HIV Primary Care Guidelines, Infectious Diseases Society of America (2004-present)
- Director, Harvard Medical School AIDS Initiative in Vietnam (2006-present)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (2005)
- Case Western Reserve University, MD (1974-1978)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland, Medical Internship and Residency (1978-1981)
- Boston University Affiliated Hospitals, Infectious Diseases Fellowship (1981-1983)
- Libman H. Primary care issues in HIV infection. IAS-USA: Cases on the Web. 2013. http://cows.iasusa.org/cow-instructions.php?cowid=290. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- Libman H. HIV manual. AIDS ETC National Resource Center, 2012. http://aidsetc.org/aidsetc?page=etres-display&resource=etres-386. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- Kerr CA, Neeman N, Davis RB, Schulze J, Libman H, Markson L, Aronson M, Bell SK. HIV quality of care assessment at an academic hospital: outcomes and lessons learned. Am J Med Qual. 2012;27:321-328.
- Libman H. Clinical Crossroads. Screening for HIV infection: a healthy, “low-risk” 42-year-old man. JAMA. 2011;306:637-644.
- Cheng DM, Libman H, Bridden C, Saitz R, Samet JH. Alcohol consumption and lipodystrophy in HIV-infected adults with alcohol problems. Alcohol. 2009;43:65-71.
- Aberg JA, Kaplan JE, Libman H, et al. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: 2009 update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:651-681.
- Melia M, Libman H. Initial evaluation of a patient with a new HIV diagnosis. IAS-USA: Cases on the Web. 2008. http://cows.iasusa.org/cow-instructions.php?cowid=105. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- Walley AY, Cheng DM, Libman H, et al. Recent drug use, homelessness and increased short-term mortality in HIV-infected persons with alcohol problems. AIDS. 2008;22:415-420.
- Sullivan LE, Saitz R, Cheng DM, Libman H, Nunes D, Samet JH. The impact of alcohol use on depressive symptoms in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. Addiction. 2008;103:1461-1467.
- Libman H, Makadon HJ, eds. HIV. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Physicians, 2007.