Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
- Sexually transmitted infections and guidelines development
- HIV translational research and antiviral clinical trials
- Hepatitis C virus (HCV) translational research and antiviral clinical trials
- Immunologic aspects of HCV persistence
Dr Workowski is Professor of Medicine at Emory University, specializing in HIV medicine, hepatitis C clinical trials, and the evaluation and management of sexually transmitted infections (including antimicrobial-resistant infections). Dr Workowski also coordinates the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) sexually transmitted diseases (STD) guidelines development process and is a member of the HIV Opportunistic Infection Prevention and Treatment guidelines development panel.
- Organizer and Coordinator, CDC Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guidelines Panel (1997-present)
- Member, HIV Opportunistic Infection Prevention and Treatment Guidelines Panel (2006-present)
- National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention Honor Award, Division of STD-HPV Workgroup, CDC (2005)
- Emory University Teaching Award (2003)
- Outstanding Scientific Contribution to Public Health nominee, CDC, STD Treatment Guidelines Team (2001)
- University of South Florida, BS, Biology (1982)
- University of South Florida, MD, Medicine (1986)
- University of Chicago, Residency, Internal Medicine (1986-1989)
- University of Chicago, Clinical Fellowship, Infectious Diseases (1989-1990)
- University of Washington, Research Fellowship, Infectious Diseases (1990-1992)
- Pett S, Carey C, Lin E, Wentworth D, Lazovski J, Miró J, Gordin F, Angus B, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Rubio R, Tambussi G, Cooper D, Emery S, for the INSIGHT-ESPRIT Study Group (Workowski K). Predictors of bacterial pneumonia in Evaluation of Subcutaneous Interleukin-2 in a Randomized International Trial (ESPRIT). HIV Med. 2011;12:219-227.
- Workowski KA, Berman S. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2010. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010;59:1-110.
- Hoover KW, Butler M, Workowski K, et al. STD screening of HIV-infected MSM in HIV clinics. Sex Transm Dis. 2010;37:771-776.
- Currier J, Averitt Bridge D, Hagins D, Zorrilla CD, Feinberg J, Ryan R, Falcon R, Tennenberg A, Mrus J, Squires K, GRACE (Gender, Race, And Clinical Experience) Study Group (Workowski KA). Sex-based outcomes of darunavir-ritonavir therapy: a single-group trial. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153:349-357.
- Dionne-Odom J, Osborn MK, Radziewicz H, Grakoui A, Workowski K. Acute hepatitis C and HIV coinfection. Lancet Infect Dis. 2009;9:775-783.
- Katlama C, Haubrich R, Lalezari J, Lazzarin A, Madruga JV, Molina JM, Schechter M, Peeters M, Picchio G, Vingerhoets J, Woodfall B, De Smedt G, DUET-1 (Workowski KA), DUET-2 study groups. Efficacy and safety of etravirine in treatment-experienced, HIV-1 patients: pooled 48 week analysis of two randomized, controlled trials. AIDS. 2009;23:2289-2300.
- Workowski KA, Berman SM, Douglas JM Jr. Emerging antimicrobial resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae: urgent need to strengthen prevention strategies. Ann Intern Med. 2008;148:606-613.
- Tai E, Sanchez T, Lansky A, Mahle K, Heffelfinger J, Workowski K. Self-reported syphilis and gonorrhoea testing among men who have sex with men: national HIV behavioural surveillance system, 2003-5. Sex Transm Infect. 2008;84:478-482.
- Radziewicz H, Ibegbu CC, Fernandez ML, Workowski KA, et al. Liver-infiltrating lymphocytes in chronic human hepatitis C virus infection display an exhausted phenotype with high levels of PD-1 and low levels of CD127 expression. J Virol. 2007;81:2545-2553.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Resources and Services Administration, National Institutes of Health, HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, HIV Prevention in Clinical Care Working Group (Workowski KA). Recommendations for incorporating human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention into the medical care of persons living with HIV. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:104-121.