Associate Professor of Medicine
Associate Director, UCLA Center for Clinical AIDS Research & Education
University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
- Biomedical prevention of HIV
- HIV drug resistance: clinical and mechanistic correlates
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV
Raphael Landovitz, MD, MSc, completed his training at Princeton University and Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital.
He served as Medical Co-Director of the Vietnam-CDC-Harvard Medical School-AIDS-Partnership (VCHAP), helping to train Vietnamese physicians in HIV care and treatment.
Dr. Landovitz relocated to Los Angeles in
2006, and is Currently Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at UCLA. His is Associate Director of the UCLA Center for Clinical AIDS Research & Education. Funded by the NIH, California HIV Research Program (CHRP), the State, County, and City of Los Angeles, He has led combination prevention intervention studies and projects using Post-exposure (PEP) and Pre-exposure (PrEP) strategies for Men who have sex with men, transgender women, and cis-gender women, as well as being part of leadership groups of the DAIDS-funded AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG), HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) and the Adolescent Trials Network (ATN). He is the principal investigator of a
multisite PrEP demonstration project in Los Angeles County, and the study chair of a Phase 2 study of long-acting injectable PrEP. His research agenda focuses on the optimization of the use of antiretroviral medications for both HIV treatment and HIV prevention. He was awarded the John Carey Young Investigator Award by the ACTG in 2010.
2004-2005 Antimicrobial Use Improvement Project, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
2007-2013 AAHIVM Research Task Force Committee
2009-2011 AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Optimization of Antiretroviral Therapy (OpART) Scientific Agenda Subcommittee
2009-2013 AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Optimization of Antiretroviral Therapy (OpART) Study Safety Monitoring Committee
2010-present NIH/HANC Behavioral Science Working Group
2010-2013 UCLA Medical Center Morbidity and Mortality Committee
2011-2013 AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Antiretroviral Strategies Scientific (ARTS) Subcommittee
2011-2013 AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance (OHARA) Scientific Subcommittee
2011-2013 AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance (OHARA) Safety Monitoring Committee Chairman
2012-present NIH/HANC Youth Prevention Research Working Group
2012-present Adolescent Trials Network (ATN) Therapeutics Leadership Group
2012-present Adolescent Trials Network (ATN) Adolescent Medicine Leadership Group
2013-present University of California Los Angeles Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
2013-present AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Long Acting Therapeutics Working Group
2014-present Vice Chair, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Antiretroviral Strategies (ARTS) Subcommittee
Honors and Awards
1990 Eastman Kodak Scholar
1991 William Foster Memorial Prize in Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
1992 Everett S. Wallis Prize in Organic Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
1992 Phi Beta Kappa, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
2001 Edward H. Kass Award for Clinical Excellence in Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts Infectious Disease Society
2002 Undergraduate Medical Education Teaching Award, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
2002 Society of Teaching Fellows, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
2010 John Carey Young Investigator Award, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG)
2012 American Academy of HIV Medicine/ Institute for Technology for Health Care in HIV Practice Award
2012 Best Doctors in America 2013, Best Doctors Inc.
2013 Best Doctors in America 2014, Best Doctors Inc.
- Princeton University, BA Summa cum laude (1992)
- Harvard Medical School, MD (1996)
- University of California Los Angeles, MSc (2009)
- Walker S, Landovitz R, Ding WD, Ellestad GA, Kahne D. Cleavage behavior of Calicheamicin gIand Calicheamicin T; Proc Natl Acad Sci 1992; 89: 4608-12.
- Landovitz RJ and Sax PE. Symptomatic junctional bradycardia after treatment with nelfinavir; Clin Infect Dis 1999; 29: 449-50.
- Shoptaw S, Rotheram-Fuller E, Landovitz R, et al. Nonoccupational Post-Exposure Prohpylaxis as a Biobehavioral HIV Prevention Intervention. AIDS Care, 2008; 20(3):376-81.
- Landovitz RJ, Angel JB, Hoffmann C, et al. Phase II study of vicriviroc versus efavirenz (both with zidovudine/lamivudine) in treatment-naive subjects with HIV-1 infection. J Infect Dis. 2008;198(8):1113-1122.
- Landovitz RJ, Combs KB, Currier JS. Availability of HIV Postexposure Prophylaxis Services in Los Angeles County. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1624-7. PMID: 19400685, PMC 2922974.
- Brooks RA, Lieber E, Kaplan RL, Landovitz RJ, Lee S-J, Leibowitz AA. Motivators, concerns, and barriers to adoption of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention among gay and bisexual men in HIV serodiscordant male relationships. AIDS Care. 2011; 1-10. PMID: 21476147.
- Brooks R, Landovitz RJ, Kaplan RL, Lieber, E, Lee, SJ, Barkley TW. Sexual risk behaviors and acceptability of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among HIV-negative gay and bisexual men in serodiscordant relationships: A mixed methods study. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012 Feb;26(2):87-94. Epub 2011 Dec 7.
- Landovitz RJ, Fletcher J, Inzhakova G, Lake JE, Shoptaw S, Reback CJ. A novel combination HIV prevention strategy: Post-exposure prophylaxis with contingency management for substance abuse treatment among methamphetamine-using men who have sex with men. AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2012 Jun;26(6):320-8.
- Landovitz RJ, Tseng CH, Weissman M, Haymer M, Mendenhall B, Rogers K, Veniegas R, Gorbach P, Reback CJ, Shoptaw S. Epidemiology, sexual risk behavior, and HIV prevention practices of men who have sex with men using GRINDR in Los Angeles, California. J Urban Health. 2012 Sept 15. [Epub ahead of print].
10. Etter P, Landovitz R, Sibeko S, Sobieszczyk ME, Riddler SA, Karg C, Tsibris A, Schouten J. Recommendations for the Follow-Up of Study Participants with Breakthrough HIV Infections during HIV/AIDS Biomedical Prevention Studies. AIDS. 2012 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print].
11. Fletcher JB, Rusow JA, Le H, Landovitz RJ, Reback CJ. High-Risk Sexual Behavior Is Associated with Postexposure Prophylaxis Nonadherence among Men Who Have Sex with Men Enrolled in a Combination Prevention Intervention," J Sex Transm Dis. 2013;2013:210403.
12. Pines HA, Gorbach PM, Weiss RE, Shoptaw S, Landovitz RJ, Javanbakht M, Ostrow DG, Stall RD, Plankey M. Sexual risk trajectories among MSM in the United States: implications for pre-exposure prophylaxis delivery. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014 Apr 15;65(5):579-86.
- 13. Pines HA, Gorbach PM, Reback CJ, Landovitz RJ, Mutchler MG, Mitsuyasu R. Commercial lubricant use among HIV-negative men who have sex with men in Los Angeles: implications for the development of rectal microbicides for HIV prevention. AIDS Care. 2014 Jul 15:1-10.
- 14. Beymer MR, Bolan RK, Flynn RP, Kerrone DR, Pieribone DL,Kulkarni SP, Stitt JC, Mejia E, Landovitz RJ. Uptake and repeat use of post-exposure prophylaxis in a community-based clinic in Los Angeles, California. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 Sep;30(9):848-855. Epub 2014 Jul 29.
15. Lennox JL, Landovitz RJ, Ribaudo HJ et al. A Phase III Comparative Study of the Efficacy and Tolerability of Three Non-Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor-Sparing Antiretroviral Regimens for Treatment-Naïve HIV-1-Infected Volunteers: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Oct 7;161(7):461-71.
16. Landovitz RJ, Fletcher JB, Shoptaw S, Reback CJ. Contingency Management facilitates the use of Post-Exposure Prophylaxis among Stimulant-using Men who have Sex with Men. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. Doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofu114.
Brooks RA, Landovitz RJ, Regan R, Lee SJ and Allen VC. Perceptions of and intentions to adopt HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among black men who have sex with men in Los Angeles. Int J STD AIDS. DOI: 10.1177/0956462415570159
Webcasts of the The Clinical Pathway Track of the 2016 National Ryan White Conference on HIV Care & Treatment
An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
An Advanced CME Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
Günthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, del Rio C, Eron JJ, Gallant JE, Hoy JF, Mugavero MJ, Sax PE, Thompson MA, Gandhi RT, Landovitz RJ, Smith DM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults 2016 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2016.