Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
Center for Global Health
Weill Cornell Medical College
New York, NY
Director, Les Centres GHESKIO
- HIV epidemiology, prevention, and care in developing countries
- HIV and tuberculosis
Dr Pape is Professor of Medicine in the Center for Global Health, Division of Infectious Diseases at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York. He is also the founder and director of Les Centres GHESKIO in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. GHESKIO is Haiti's largest provider of HIV and AIDS care, education, and research.
- Founder and Director, Les Centres GHESKIO, Port-au-Prince, Haiti (1982-present)
- Member, HIV Vaccine Trial Network (HVTN) Scientific Steering Committee (1997-present)
- Member, Board of Trustees of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (IAPAC) (2004-present)
- Founder and Chair, Trans Caribbean HIV/AIDS Research Initiative (TCHARI) (2006-present)
- Member, International AIDS Society (IAS)
- Member, Institute of Medicine (IOM)
- Clinton Global Citizen Initiative Award (2010)
- Gates Award for Global Health (2010)
- Jonathan Mann Health Human Rights Award, International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (IAPAC) (2010)
- Life Achievement Award, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (2010)
- “Carlos Slim Institut de Salud” Life Achievement Award (2010)
- Prix Rodolphe Mérieux by I’Institut de France (2010)
- HIV Trial Network Outstanding Recognition Award (2010)
- Columbia University, BS, Biology (1971)
- Cornell University Medical College, MD, Medicine (1975)
- Intern and Resident, Cornell University affiliated hospitals (1975-1978)
- Fellow in Medicine, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center (1978-1980)
- Pape JW, Johnson WD Jr, Fitzgerald DW. The earthquake in Haiti--dispatch from Port-au-Prince. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:575-577.
- Severe P, Juste MA, Ambroise A, et al. Early versus standard antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected adults in Haiti. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:257-265.
- Leger P, Charles M, Severe P, Riviere C, Pape JW, Fitzgerald DW. 5-year survival of patients with AIDS receiving antiretroviral therapy in Haiti. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:828-829.
- Severe P, Leger P, Charles M, et al. Antiretroviral therapy in a thousand patients with AIDS in Haiti. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2325-2334.
- Fitzgerald DW, Pape JW, Wasserheit JN, Counts GW, Counts GW, Corey L. Provision of treatment in HIV-1 vaccine trials in developing countries. Lancet. 2003;362:993-994.
- Fitzgerald DW, Desvarieux M, Severe P, Joseph P, Johnson WD Jr, Pape JW. Effect of post-treatment isoniazid on prevention of recurrent tuberculosis in HIV-1-infected individuals: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2000;356:1470-1474.
- Deschamps MM, Pape JW, Hafner A, Johnson WD Jr. Heterosexual transmission of HIV in Haiti. Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:324-330.
- Pape JW, Jean SS, Ho JL, Hafner A, Johnson WD Jr. Effect of isoniazid prophylaxis on incidence of active tuberculosis and progression of HIV infection. Lancet. 1993;342:268-272.
- Pape JW, Verdier RI, Johnson WD Jr. Treatment and prophylaxis of Isospora belli infection in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1989;320:1044-1047.
- Pape JW, Liautaud B, Thomas F, et al. Characteristics of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) in Haiti. N Engl J Med. 1983;309:945-950.