Professor of Medicine, Investigative Medicine, and Public Health
Yale University School of Medicine
New Haven, CT
- Office-based treatment of opioid dependence
- Buprenorphine treatment in HIV-infected patients
- Addiction treatment as HIV prevention
- Integrated treatment of addiction and HIV
- Opioid prescribing and non-medical use of prescription opioids in HIV-infected and uninfected patients
David A. Fiellin, MD, is a Professor of Medicine, Investigative Medicine and Public Health at Yale University. He is the Director of the Community Research Core at Yale’s Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS. Dr Fiellin is a primary care general internist who is board certified in Addiction Medicine and has focused his scholarly work on the interface between primary care and substance abuse. He conducts research on the transfer of treatment strategies from specialized settings to office-based, primary care, Emergency Department and HIV specialty settings. He was lead physician on the Coordinating Center of the HRSA SPNS BHIVES project integrating buprenorphine into HIV primary care. He directs the intervention components of the Veterans Aging Cohort (VACS). He is the recipient of the Nyswander/Dole Award from the American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence and the Annual Award (2008) from the American Society of Addiction Medicine. He has served on the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), Drug Control Research, Data, and Evaluation Advisory Committee, and the World Health Organization and United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Technical Guideline Development Group for psychosocially assisted pharmacologic treatment of opioid dependence. He is on the Editorial Boards of Substance Abuse and the Journal of Addiction Medicine and is Co-Editor of Alcohol, Other Drugs & Health: Current Evidence (www.bu.edu/aodhealth/index.html) and the Principles of Addiction Medicine, 4th Edition. He recently completed a term on the Board of Directors of the College on Problems of Drug Dependence and as Co-Chair of the Substance Abuse Interest Group at the Society of General Internal Medicine.
- Chair, Buprenorphine Subcommittee, Medications Development Committee, American Society of Addiction Medicine (2001-2006)
- Co-Chair, Substance Abuse Task Force, Society of General Internal Medicine (2001-2012)
- Member, White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), Drug Control Research, Data, and Evaluation Advisory Committee, Washington, DC (2004-2006)
- Member, Board of Directors, College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD) (2009-2012)
- Chair, Addressing Viral Hepatitis in People with Substance Use Disorders, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP 53)
- Physician Scientist, Substance Abuse Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT (1997-2002)
- Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT (2001-2004)
- Nyswander/Dole Award from the American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence (2006)
- Annual Award from the American Society of Addiction Medicine (2008)
- Earlham College, BA (1983)
- Emory University School of Medicine, MD (1991)
- Yale University School of Medicine, Postdoctoral Fellow, The Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Clinical Epidemiology (1997)
- Fiellin DA, O'Connor PG, Chawarski M, Pakes JP, Pantalon MV, Schottenfeld RS. Methadone maintenance in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA.2001;286:1724-1731.
- Sullivan LE, Metzger DS, Fudala PJ, Fiellin DA. Decreasing international HIV transmission: the role of expanding access to opioid agonist therapies for injection drug users. Addiction. 2005;100:150-158.
- Fiellin DA, Pantalon MV, Chawarski MC Moore BA, Sullivan LE, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS. Counseling plus buprenorphine-naloxone maintenance treatment in primary care. New England Journal of Medicine. 2006;355(4):365-374.
- Sullivan LE, Moore BA, Chawarski MC, Pantalon MV, Barry DT, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine/naloxone treatment in primary care is associated with decreased HIV risk behaviors. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2008;35:87-92. PMCID: PMC2587397.
- Chaudhry AA, Botsko M, Weiss L, Egan JE, Mitty J, Estrada B, Lucas GM, Woodson T, Flanigan T, Fiellin DA, BHIVES Collaborative. Participant characteristics and HIV risk behaviors among individuals entering integrated buprenorphine/naloxone and HIV care. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56, S14-S21. PMID2131759.
- Fiellin DA, Weiss L, Botsko M, Egan JE, Altice FL, Bazerman LB, Chaudhry AA, Cunningham C, Gourevitch MN, Lum PJ, Sullivan LE, Schottenfeld RS, O'Connor PG. Drug treatment outcomes among HIV-infected, opioid-dependent patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56, S33-S38. PMID 21317592.
- Lum PJ, Little S, Botsko M, Hersh D, Thawley RE, Egan JE, Mitty J, Boverman J, Fiellin DA, BHIVES Collaborative. Opioid Prescribing and Provider Confidence Recognizing Opioid Abuse in HIV Primary Care Settings. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56, S91-S97. PMID21317601.
- Sullivan LE, Botsko M, Cunningham C, O'Connor PG, Hersh D, Mitty J, Lum PJ, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA, BHIVES Collaborative. The impact of cocaine use on outcomes in HIV-infected patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56, S54-S61. PMCID: PMC3065971.
- Vergara-Rodriguez P, Tozzi MJ, Botsko M, Nandi V, Altice FL, Egan JE, O'Connor PG, Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA, BHIVES Collaborative. Hepatic safety and lack of antiretroviral interactions with buprenorphine/naloxone in HIV-infected opioid dependent patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56, S62-S67. PMID 21317596.
- Barry DT, Goulet JL, Kerns RK, Becker WC, Gordon AJ, Justice AC, Fiellin DA Non-medical use of prescription opioids and pain in Veterans with and without HIV. Pain 2011 May;152(5):1133-8. PMID 21354703, PMCID: PMC3086805.
- Fiellin DA, Friedland GH, Gourevitch MN. Opioid dependence: Rationale and efficacy of existing and new treatments. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006;43:S173-177.
- Sullivan LE, Bruce RD, Haltiwanger D, Lucas GE, Eldred L, Finkelstein R, Fiellin DA. Initial strategies for integrating buprenorphine into HIV care settings in the United States. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2006;43:S191-S196.
- Sullivan LE, Tetrault J, Bangalore D, Fiellin DA. Training HIV physicians to prescribe buprenorphine for opioid dependence. Substance Abuse. 2006;27(3):13-16.
- Wang EA, Moore BA, Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Effect of incarceration history on outcomes of primary care office-based buprenorphine/naloxone, J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Jul;25(7):670-4. PMID 20213205, PMCID: PMC2881960.
- Tetrault JM, Tate JP, McGinnis KA, Goulet JL, Sullivan LE, Bryant K, Justice AC, Fiellin DA; For the Veterans Aging Cohort Study Team. Hepatic Safety and Antiretroviral Effectiveness in HIV-Infected Patients Receiving Naltrexone. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011 Jul 28; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21797892. NIHMS302772.