Office of AIDS
California Department of Public Health
- HIV post-exposure prophylaxis (non-occupational)
- Non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis
- Solid organ transplantation in HIV-positive recipients
- HIV drug resistance
Dr Michelle Roland was appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger to the position of Chief of the California Department of Public Health, Office of AIDS (CDPH/OA) on July 1, 2007.
Prior to accepting her current position, Dr Roland was a member of the California AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) Medical Advisory Committee and served as a California representative to the Center for Disease Control's Medical Monitoring Project on behalf of the Office of AIDS.
D Roland is also an associate clinical professor of medicine at the Department of Internal Medicine with the University of California San Francisco's Positive Health Program (HIV/AIDS Division) at San Francisco General Hospital. She continues to see patients and teach residents there once a week.
She is a member of the American Academy of HIV Medicine, where she was previously vice-chair of the board of directors and chair of the public policy committee. Roland's previous research interests include post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) and behavioral interventions following sexual exposure to HIV and the safety and efficacy of liver and kidney transplants in HIV-infected patients.
- Board of Directors and former Vice-Chair, American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM); Chair of Public Policy Committee and ADAP Sub-Committee
- Member, American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM), Public Policy and Ethics Committees; AAHIVM California Chapter, Board of Directors
- Member, International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (1994)
- CIBA-GEIGY Medical Student Community Service Award (1991)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1988)
- Summa Cum Laude, San Francisco State University (1988)
- San Francisco State University, BS Cell and Molecular Biology (1985-1989)
- University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, MD (1989-1994)
- University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Primary Care Internal Medicine Program, Internship and Residency (1994-1997)
- Marin JN, Roland ME, Neilands TB, Krone MR, Bamberger JD, Kohn RP, Chesney MA, Franses K, Kahn JO, Coates TJ, Katz MH. Use of post-exposure prophylaxis against HIV infection following sexual exposure does not lead to increases in high-risk behavior. AIDS. 2004;18:787-792.
- Pinkerton SD, Martin JN, Roland ME, Katz MH, Coates TJ, Kahn JO. Cost-effectiveness of post-exposure prophylaxis following sexual or injection drug exposure to human immunodeficiency virus. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:46-54.
- Roland ME, Havlir DV. Responding to organ failure in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2003;348(23):2279-2281.
- Roland ME, Lo B, Braff J, Stock P. Key clinical, ethical, and policy issues in the evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of solid organ transplantation in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:1773-1778.
- Roland ME, Adey D, Carlson LL, Terrault NA. Kidney and liver transplantation in HIV-infected patients: case presentations and review. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2003;17:501-507.
- Roland ME, Stock P. Review of solid organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. Transplantation. 2003;75:425-429.
- Ragni MV, Belle SH, Im KA, Neff G, Roland M, Stock P, Heaton N, Humar A, Fung JF. Survival in HIV-infected liver transplant recipients. JID. 2003;188:1412-1420.
- Stock PG, Roland M, Carlson L, Freise CE, Roberts JP, Hirose R, Terrault NA, Frassetto LA, Palefsky JM, Tomlanovich SJ, Ascher NL. Kidney and liver transplantation in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: a pilot safety and efficacy study. Transplantation. 2003;76:370-375.
- Roland M, Martin J, Grant R, Hellmann N, Bamberger J, Katz M, Chesney M, Franses K, Coates T, Kahn J. Post-exposure prophylaxis for human immunodeficiency virus infection following sexual or injection drug use exposure: identification and characterization of the source of exposure. J Infect Dis. 2001;184:1608-1612.
- Roland M. Prophylaxis following non-occupational exposure to HIV. In: Peiperl L, Volberding PA, eds. HIV InSite Knowledge Base Textbook on-line, Updated Feb 2004. http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite.jsp?page=kb-07-02-07 Also distributed on CD-ROM by UCSF HIV Insite/Center for HIV Information at the XIV and XV International AIDS Conferences, Barcelona 2002 and Bangkok 2004.