Professor of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- Sexually transmitted diseases and HIV coinfections
- Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in HIV patients
- Side effects related to HIV medications
- HIV management: complications and opportunistic infections
- HIV in women
- HIV in rural patients
- Post-exposure prophylaxis
- Reproductive choice in HIV-seropositive populations
Dr Thornton is a Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of Kentucky. She is the Chief of Infectious Diseases and Medical Director of the Bluegrass Care Clinic (Ryan White funded clinic). She is Director of the Kentucky AIDS Education and Training Center. Dr Thornton participates in research projects with the department of Microbiology, Public Health, and College of Pharmacy.
- HIV Medicine Assoication, Board Member
- Member of Executive Committee, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Part C Medical Providers Coalition
- Clinical Site Reviewer, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, HIV/AIDS Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration
- Best Doctors of America, Infectious Diseases (2005-Present)
- Infectious Diseases Research Professorship in Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky (2003-2006)
- Marshall University School of Medicine, MD (1992)
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Internal Medicine Resident (1995)
- Indiana University Medical Center, Infectious Disease Fellow (1998)
*Crawford T, Caldwell G, Bush HM, Browning S, Thornton AC. Foreign Born Status and HIV/AIDS: A Comparative Analysis of HIV/AIDS Characteristics Among Foreign and U.S. Born Individuals. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 14 (1): 82-88. 2012.
*Crawford, T, Sanderson W, Thornton A, Impact of Poor Retention in HIV Medical Care on time to Viral Load Suppression, Journal of International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. June 2013
*Crawford T, Sanderson, W, Breheny P, Fleming S, Thornton A. Impact of Non-HIV Related Comorbidities on Retention in HIV Medical Care: Does Retention Improve over Time. AIDS and Behavior. May 22, 2013
Crawford T, Sanderson, W, Thornton AC. A Comparison Study of Methods for Measuring Retention in HIV Medical Care, AIDS and Behavior, July 2013
*Gundelly, PK, Thornton AC, Greenberg, RN, McCormick MI, Myint T, Rhodococcus equi pericarditis in a HIV/AIDS patient. Case Report. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. January 2014.
Ratermann KL, Ereshefsky BJ, Fleishaker EL, Thornton AC, Buch KP, Martin CA,
Fulminant Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis After a Near-Drowning Accident in Immunocompetent Patient: A Cases Report, Annals of Pharmacotherapy June 2014.
*Davis T, Thornton AC,Oslin D,Zanjani F. Medication and Behavioral Adherence among HIV+ Older Adults. Clinical Gerontologist: June 2014
Fanucchi L, Leedy N, Jing L, Thornton AC, Perceptions and Practices of Physicians Regarding Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy in Person who Inject Drugs, Journal of Hospital Medicine, April 2016. 11(8): 581-582
*Gundelly, PK, Suzuki, Y, Ribes JA, Thornton AC, Rhodococcus equi infections Based on Immune Status and Antibiotic Susceptibility of Clinical Isolates in a Case Series of 12 Patients and Cases in the Literature. Biomed Res Int.. 2016
Davis T. Teaster PB, Watkins JF, Thornton AC, Alexander L, Zanjani F. A Qualitative Approach tin Increasing HIV Prevention in Primary Care Settings for Older Adults: Perspectives From Primary Care Providers. A Appl Gerontology July 2016.
Crawford T, Thornton AC. Retention in Continuous Care and Sustained Viral Suppression: Examining the Association among Individuals Living with HIV. J. Int Assoc. Provid AIDS Care Nov 2016.
*Davis T, Teaster P, Thornton AC, Watkins J, Alexander L, Zanjani F. Primary Care Providers’ HIV Prevention Practices Among Older Adults, Journal of Applied Gerontology, December 2016; 35 (12); 1325-1342.-194.
- Feola DJ, Garvy BA, Rapp RP, Thornton AC. Blunted humoral response to influenza vaccination in patients exposed to zidovudine plus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Pharmacotherapy. 2007;27:937-947.