Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- Sexually transmitted diseases and HIV coinfections
- Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in HIV patients
- Side effects related to HIV medications
- HIV management: complications and opportunistic infections
- HIV in women
- HIV in rural patients
- Post-exposure prophylaxis
- Reproductive choice in HIV-seropositive populations
Dr Thornton is an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of Kentucky. She is the Project Director and the Principal Investigator of the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Parts B and C of the Bluegrass Care Clinic. She has recently been appointed Director of the Kentucky AIDS Education and Training Center. Dr Thornton participates in research projects with the department of Microbiology, Public Health, and College of Pharmacy.
- Member of Executive Committee, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Part C Medical Providers Coalition
- Southeast Chapter Board of Directors, American Academy of HIV Medicine
- Member, University of Kentucky Medical Institutional Review Board
- Member, HIV Statewide Conference Planning Committee
- Clinical Site Reviewer, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, HIV/AIDS Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration
- Best Doctors of America, Infectious Diseases (2005)
- Infectious Diseases Research Professorship in Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky (2003-2006)
- Marshall University School of Medicine, MD (1992)
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Internal Medicine Resident (1995)
- Indiana University Medical Center, Infectious Disease Fellow (1998)
- Thornton AC, Adkins D, Arno A. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. In: Management of Antimicrobials in Infectious Diseases. Editors: Mainous AG, Pomeroy C. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, 2001.
- Feola DJ, Thornton AC. Metronidazole-induced pancreatitis in a patient with recurrent vaginal trichomoniasis. Pharmacotherapy. 2002;22:1508-1510.
- Thornton AC, Jennings-Conklin KS, McCormick MI. Noroviruses: agents in outbreaks of acute gastroenteritis. Disaster Manag Response. 2004;2:4-9.
- Thornton AC, Romanelli F, Collins JD. Reproduction decision making for couples affected by HIV: a review of the literature. Top HIV Med. 2004;12:61-67.
- Thornton AC, Collins, JD. Children’s Sexual Development/Teaching Parents to Talk to Their Children About Sexual Topics. Clinics in Family Practice. 2004;6:80-819.
- Ribes JA, Thornton AC, Feola DJ, Murphy B. Diarrheal Diseases, In: APIC Text of Infection Control and Epidemiology. Editors: Carrico R, Heath J, Ritter J, et al. APIC, 2005.
- Feola DJ, Thornton AC, Garvy BA. Effects of antiretroviral therapy on immunity in patients infected with HIV. Curr Pharm Des. 2006;12:1015-1022.
- Olges JR, Murphy BS, Caldwell GG, Thornton AC. Testing Practices and Knowledge of HIV among Prenatal Care Providers in Kentucky. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2007;21:187-194.
- Feola DJ, Garvy BA, Rapp RP, Thornton AC. Blunted humoral response to influenza vaccination in patients exposed to zidovudine plus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Pharmacotherapy. 2007;27:937-947.
- Romanelli F, Branscum A, Caldwell G, and Thornton AC. Risk Factors for Community Acquired Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (cMRSA) Among a Mixed Urban-Rural HIV Infected Population (submitted).