Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Biomedical prevention of HIV
- STDs in general
- STD-HIV interactions
- Appropriate care of sexual minority patients
- Women's health
Dr. Marrazzo is Professor of Medicine and Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She is internationally recognized for her research and education efforts in the field of sexually transmitted infections, especially as they affect women’s health. She is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Dr. Marrazzo is the Chair of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Council, and also chairs the ABIM Infectious Disease Specialty Board. She is board certified in Infectious Disease.
She conducts research on the human microbiome, specifically as it relates to female reproductive tract infections and hormonal contraception. Her other research interests include the prevention of HIV infection using biomedical interventions, including microbicides. Recently, Dr. Marrazzo led the VOICE Study, a large study evaluating HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis administered vaginally and orally to women at high risk for HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa conducted by the NIH-funded Microbicide Trials Network.
Other areas of research interest include pathogenesis and management of vaginal infections; sexually transmitted infections and HIV; and management of antibiotic resistance in gonorrhea.
Dr. Marrazzo obtained her undergraduate degree from Harvard and Radcliffe College and medical degree from Jefferson Medical College. She completed residency training and chief residency in internal medicine at Yale-New Haven Hospital. She obtained a master’s degree in public health degree in epidemiology at the University of Washington in 1994, where she also completed a fellowship in infectious diseases.
- President, American Board of Internal Medicine Council
- Member, IAS-USA Board of Directors
- President, International Society for STD Research
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America
- Harvard-Radcliffe, AB (Biology) (1984)
- Jefferson Medical College, MD (1988)
- University of Washington, MPH (Epidemiology) (1994)
- University of Washington, Fellow in Infectious Diseases (1992-1995)
- Board Certified in Infectious Diseases
- Fredricks DN, Fiedler TL, Marrazzo JM. Molecular identification of bacteria associated with bacterial vaginosis. N Engl J Med. 2005 Nov 3;353(18):1899-911. PubMed PMID: 16267321.
- Marrazzo JM, del Rio C, Holtgrave DR, Cohen MS, Kalichman SC, Mayer KH, Montaner JS, Wheeler DP, Grant RM, Grinsztejn B, Kumarasamy N, Shoptaw S, Walensky RP, Dabis F, Sugarman J, Benson CA. HIV prevention in clinical care settings: 2014 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA. 2014 Jul 23-30;312(4):390-409. PubMed PMID: 25038358.
- Marrazzo JM, Ramjee G, Richardson BA, Gomez K, Mgodi N, Nair G, Palanee T, Nakabiito C, van der Straten A, Noguchi L, Hendrix CW, Dai JY, Ganesh S, Mkhize B, Taljaard M, Parikh UM, Piper J, Mâsse B, Grossman C, Rooney J, Schwartz JL, Watts H, Marzinke MA, Hillier SL, McGowan IM, Chirenje ZM. Tenofovir-based preexposure prophylaxis for HIV infection among African women. N Engl J Med. 2015 Feb 5;372(6):509-18. PubMed PMID: 25651245; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4341965.
- Balkus JE, Nair G, Montgomery ET, Mishra A, Palanee-Phillips T, Ramjee G, Panchia R, Selepe P, Richardson BA, Chirenje ZM, Marrazzo JM. Age-Disparate Partnerships and Risk of HIV-1 Acquisition among South African Women Participating in the VOICE Trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Jun 3;PubMed PMID: 26049280.
- Noguchi LM, Richardson BA, Baeten JM, Hillier SL, Balkus JE, Chirenje ZM, Bunge K, Ramjee G, Nair G, Palanee-Phillips T, Selepe P, van der Straten A, Parikh UM, Gomez K, Piper JM, Watts H, Marrazzo JM. Risk of HIV-1 acquisition among women using different types of injectable progestin contraception in South Africa: a prospective cohort study. Lancet HIV 2015;2(7):e279-e287. PMID 26155597.
- Barbee LA, Dhanireddy S, Tat SA, Radford A, Marrazzo JM. Barriers to bacterial STI testing of HIV-infected men who have sex with men engaged in HIV primary care. Sex Transm Dis 2015;42(10):590-4. PMID 2637293
- van der Straten A, MontgomeryET, MusaraP, EtimaJ, NaidooS, LabordeN, HartmannM, LevyL, BennieT, ChengH, PiperJ, GrossmanCI, MarrazzoJM and MenschB, on behalf of the MTN-003D study team. Disclosure of pharmacokinetic drug results to understand non-adherence: results from the VOICE-D study. AIDS 2015;29(16):2161-71. PMID 26544581
- Mirembe BG, Kelly CW, Mgodi N, Greenspan G, Dai JY, Mayo A, Piper J, Akello CA, Kiweewa FM, Magure T, Nakabiito C, Marrazzo JM, Chirenje MZ, and Riddler SA, for the MTN-003B Protocol Team. Bone mineral density changes among young, healthy African women receiving oral tenofovir for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis. JAIDS 2016 71(3):287-94. PMID 26866954
- Dai JY, Hendrix CW, Richardson BA, Kelly C, Chirenje MZ, Marrazzo JM, Brown ER. Pharmacological measures of adherence and risk of HIV acquisition in the VOICE Study. J Infect Dis 2016;213:335-42. PMID 26124563
- Barbee LA, Tat S, Dhanireddy S, Marrazzo JM. Effectiveness and patient acceptability of a STI self-testing program in an HIV care setting. JAIDS 2016;72:e26-31. PMID 26959189
- Balkus J, Brown E, Palanee T, Gonasagrie N, Gafoor Z, Zhang J, Richardson BA, Chirenje ZM, Marrazzo JM, Baeten J. An empiric HIV risk scoring tool to predict HIV-1 acquisition in African women. JAIDS 2016;72:333-43. PMID 26918545
- van der Straten A, Brown ER, Marrazzo JM, Chirenje MZ, Liu K, Gomez K, Marzinke MA, Piper J, Hendrix C, on behalf of the MTN 003 VOICE Team. Divergent adherence estimates with pharmacokinetic and behavioral measures in the MTN 003 (VOICE) Study. J Intl AIDS Soc 2016;19:20642. PMID 26850270
- Mensch BS, Brown E, Liu K, Marrazzo JM, et al. Reporting of adherence in the VOICE Trial: did disclosure of product non-use increase at the termination visit? AIDS & Behavior 2016;20:2654-61. PMID 26906023
- Chirenje ZM, Gundacker HM, Richardson B, Rabe L, Gaffoor Z, Nair G, Gati BM, Piper JM, Hillier SL, Marrazzo JM. Risk factors for incidence of sexually transmitted infections among women in a HIV chemoprevention trial (MTN 003). Sex Transm Dis [in press]
- Akello CA, Bunge KE, Nakabiito C, Mirembe BG, Fowler MG, Mishra A, Marrazzo JM, Chirenje ZM, Celum C, Balkus JE. Contraceptive use and pregnancy among women participating in an HIV prevention trial. J Women’s Health [in press].
Advances in the Clinical Management of HIV Disease and Hepatitis C Virus Infection
An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
15th Ryan White HIV/AIDS AETC Program Clinical CARE Conference: Moving Forward with CARE: Focusing on Passion, Purpose, and Excellence
An Advanced CME Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
14th Annual Clinical Conference for the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
Marrazzo JM, del Rio C, Holtgrave DR, Cohen MS, Kalichman SC, Mayer KH, Montaner JSG, Wheeler DP, Grant RM, Grinsztejn B, Kumarasamy N, Shoptaw S, Walensky RP, Dabis F, Sugarman J, Benson CA. HIV Prevention in Clinical Care Settings: 2014 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2014.