Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
University of Alabama at Birmingham
- STDs in general
- STD-HIV interactions
- Appropriate care of sexual minority patients
- Women's health
Dr. Marrazzo is Professor of Medicine and Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She is internationally recognized for her research and education efforts in the field of sexually transmitted infections, especially as they affect women’s health. She is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Dr. Marrazzo is the Chair of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Council, and also chairs the ABIM Infectious Disease Specialty Board. She is board certified in Infectious Disease.
She conducts research on the human microbiome, specifically as it relates to female reproductive tract infections and hormonal contraception. Her other research interests include the prevention of HIV infection using biomedical interventions, including microbicides. Recently, Dr. Marrazzo led the VOICE Study, a large study evaluating HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis administered vaginally and orally to women at high risk for HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa conducted by the NIH-funded Microbicide Trials Network.
Other areas of research interest include pathogenesis and management of vaginal infections; sexually transmitted infections and HIV; and management of antibiotic resistance in gonorrhea.
Dr. Marrazzo obtained her undergraduate degree from Harvard and Radcliffe College and medical degree from Jefferson Medical College. She completed residency training and chief residency in internal medicine at Yale-New Haven Hospital. She obtained a master’s degree in public health degree in epidemiology at the University of Washington in 1994, where she also completed a fellowship in infectious diseases.
- President, American Board of Internal Medicine Council
- Member, IAS-USA Board of Directors
- President, International Society for STD Research
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America
- Harvard-Radcliffe, AB (Biology) (1984)
- Jefferson Medical College, MD (1988)
- University of Washington, MPH (Epidemiology) (1994)
- University of Washington, Fellow in Infectious Diseases (1992-1995)
- Board Certified in Infectious Diseases
- Marrazzo JM, Stine K, Wald A. Prevalence and risk factors for infection with herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2 among lesbians. Sex Transm Dis. [In press.]
- Ginnochio RH, Veenstra D, Connell F, Marrazzo JM. The clinical and economic consequences of screening young men for genital chlamydial infection. Sex Transm Dis.2003;302:99-106.
- LaMontagne DS, Fine DN, Marrazzo JM. Chlamydia trachomatis infection in asymptomatic men. Am J Prev Med.2003;24:36-42.
- Marrazzo JM, Hansfield HH, Whttington WLH. Predicting chlamydial and gonococcal cervical infection: implications for management of cervicitis. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;100:579-584.
- Marrazzo JM, Koutsky LA, Eschenbach DA, Agnew K, Stine K, Hillier SL. Characterization of vaginal flora and bacteria vaginosis in women who have sex with women. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:1307-1313.
- Marrazzo JM, Koutsky LA, Kiviat NB, Kuypers JM, Stine K. Pap smear screening and prevalence of genital human papillomavirus infection in women who have sex with women. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:947-952.
- Marrazzo JM, Whittington WL, Celum CL, Hansfield HH, Clark A, Cles L, Krekeler B, Stamm WE. Urine-based screening for Chlamydia trachomatis in men attending sexually transmitted disease clinics. Sex Transm Dis. 2001;28:219-225.
- Marrazzo JM, Hansfield HH. Characteristics of female sexually transmitted disease clinic reporting same-sex behavior, 1993-1997. Int Journal of STD and AIDS. 2001;12:41-46.
- Marrazzo JM, Koutsky LA, Stine K, Kuypers J, Grubert T, Galloway D, Kiviat N, Handsfield HH. Genital human papillomarvirus infection in women who have sex with women. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:1604-1609.
- Marrazzo JM, White CL, Lafferty WE, Krekeler B, Celum CL, Stamm WE, Hansfield HH. Community-based urine screening for Chlamydia trachomatis infection by ligase chain reaction. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127:796-803.
Advances in the Clinical Management of HIV Disease and Hepatitis C Virus Infection
An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
15th Ryan White HIV/AIDS AETC Program Clinical CARE Conference: Moving Forward with CARE: Focusing on Passion, Purpose, and Excellence
An Advanced CME Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
14th Annual Clinical Conference for the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
Marrazzo JM, del Rio C, Holtgrave DR, Cohen MS, Kalichman SC, Mayer KH, Montaner JSG, Wheeler DP, Grant RM, Grinsztejn B, Kumarasamy N, Shoptaw S, Walensky RP, Dabis F, Sugarman J, Benson CA. HIV Prevention in Clinical Care Settings: 2014 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2014.