Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director, UCSD Owen Clinic
University of California San Diego Medical Center
San Diego, CA
- Medication adherence
- Anal dysplasia
- Outcomes of HIV care
Dr Mathews is Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of California San Diego (UCSD). He is also Director of the UCSD Owen Clinic and Co-director of Clinical CORE at the UCSD Center for AIDS Research. In addition, Dr Mathews is Director of the San Diego AIDS Education and Training Center (AETC).
- Food and Drug Administration Antiviral Advisory Committee
- San Diego Ryan White CARE Act Planning Council
- Member, American Academy of HIV Medicine
- Member, HIV Medicine Association
- Member, Society for Medical Decision Making
- American Academy of Medical Colleges, University of California San Diego, Humanism in Medicine (2002)
- UCSD Faculty Physician of the Year (2000)
- Physician-Citizen of the Year Award (1991), San Diego Medical Society
- Outstanding Community Service Award (1992), San Diego Legal Aid Society
- UCSD Department of Medicine, Graduating House Staff and Residents Teaching Awards (1993, 1996, 2001, and 2002)
- Loyola Marymount University, BS Psychology (1971)
- USC School of Medicine, MD (1975)
- University of California San Diego, Internal Medicine Residency (1975-1979)
- University of California Los Angeles, MSPH (1987)
- Murphy C, Davidson TM, Jellison W, Austin S, Mathews WC, Ellison DW, Schlotfeldt C. Sinonasal disease and olfactory impairment in HIV disease: endoscopic sinus surgery and outcome measures. Laryngoscope. 2000;110:1707-1710.
- Quang-Cantagrel ND, Wallace MS, Ashar N, Mathews C. Long-term methadone treatment: effect on CD4+ lymphocyte counts and HIV-1 plasma RNA level in patients with HIV infection. Eur J Pain. 2001;5:415-420.
- Gunn RA, Eldred SL, Mathews C. Sexually transmitted disease clinical preventive services for HIV-infected patients. Sex Transm Dis. 2001;28:455-456.
- Asch SM, Gifford AL, Bozzette SA, Turner B, Mathews WC, Kuromiya K, Cunningham W, Andersen R, Shapiro M, Rastegar A, McCutchan JA. Underuse of primary Mycobacterium avium complex and Pneumocystis carinii prophylaxis in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2001;28:340-344.
- Mathews WC, Mar-Tang M, Ballard C, Colwell B, Abulhosn K, Noonan C, Barber RE, Wall TL. Prevalence, predictors, and outcomes of early adherence after starting or changing antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2002;16:157-172.
- Mathews WC, Cole J, Ballard C, Colwell B, Haubrich R, Barber E, Lew T. Early adoption of HIV-1 resistance testing in the San Diego County Ryan White CARE Act Program: predictors and outcome. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2002;16:337-348.
- Korthuis PT, Asch S, Mancewicz M, Shapiro MF, Mathews WC, Cunningham WE, McCutchan JA, Gifford A, Lee ML, Bozzette SA. Measuring medication: do interviews agree with medical record and pharmacy data? Med Care. 2002;40:1270-1282.
- Leigh Brown AJ, Frost SD, Mathews WC, Dawson K, Hellmann NS, Daar ES, Richman DD, Little SJ. Transmission fitness of drug-resistant human immunodeficiency virus and the prevalence of resistance in the antiretroviral-treated population. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:683-686.