John V. Carbone, MD, Endowed Chair
Professor of Medicine
Chief of Hepatology Research
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, California
- Hepatitis B and C virus and HIV co-infections
- Abnormalities of immunoregulation in autoimmune and viral hepatitis, and in chronic liver disease
- Treatment of chronic liver disease including viral hepatitis C and B infections, including in the HIV-infected population
Dr Peters is the John V. Carbone Endowed Chair Professor of Medicine and Chief of Hepatology Research at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF). She is also the Visiting Professor Program Director of the Gastroenterology and Hepatology (GI) section, the Director of the Translational Core of the Liver Center, and the Director of the Hepatology Training Grant at UCSF.
- AIDS Clinical Trial Groups (ACTG): Chair Hepatitis Committee
- Women's Interagency HIV Study (WIHS): Chair Hepatitis Working Group
- Member of Medical Advisory Board, American Liver Foundation
- International Workshop on HIV and Hepatitis Co-infection: Scientific Committee member
- Centenial Lecturer, St Vincent's Hospital Centenary Week, Melbourne Australia
- Leon Schiff Lectureship, University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- Steven P. Winter Lecturer, University of Illinois, Chicago
- Hugh R. Butt Award for Clinical Research in Hepatology and Nutrition, Miles and Shirley Fiterman Foundation and American Digestive Health Foundation
- Melbourne University Medical School, Melbourne University, Australia, MBBS
- University of Melbourne, Australia, MD Thesis (Human B Cell Function and the Role of Cytokines)
- Clinical Research Registrar to Dr I. R. Mackay, Royal Melbourne Hospital and the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia
- Clinical Research Fellow in Hepatology to Dr T. B. Reynolds, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Visiting Fogarty Fellow to Dr A. S. Fauci, Laboratory of Immunoregulation, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD
- Visiting Staff Fellow to Liver Disease Section, National Institute of Arthritis, Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, MD
- Peters MG, Singer G, Howard T, Jacobsmeyer S, Xiong X, Gibbs CS, Lamy P, Murray A. Fulminant hepatic failure resulting from lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus in a renal transplant recipient: durable response after orthotopic liver transplantation on adefovir dipivoxil and hepatitis B immune globulin. Transplantation. 1999;68:1912-1914.
- Carreño V, Zeuzem S, Hopf U, Marcellin P, Cooksley WG, Fevery J, Diago M, Reddy R, Peters M, Rittweger K, Rakhit A, Pardo M. A phase I/II study of recombinant human interleukin-12 in patients with chronic hepatitis B. J Hepatol. 2000;32:317-324.
- Teefey SA, Hildeboldt CC, Dehdashti F, Siegel BA, Peters MG, Heiken JP, Brown JJ, McFarland EG, Middleton WD, Balfe DM, Ritter JH. Detection of primary hepatic malignancy in liver transplant candidates: prospective comparison of CT, MR imaging, US, and PET. Radiology. 2003;226:533-542.
- Combes B, Luketic VA, Peters MG, Zetterman RK, Garcia-Tsao G, Munoz SJ, Lin D, Flye N, Carithers RL Jr. Prolonged follow-up of patients in the U.S. multicenter trial of ursodeoxycholic acid for primary biliary cirrhosis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:264-268.
- Peters MG, Hann Hw H, Martin P, Heathcote EJ, Buggisch P, Rubin R, Bourliere M, Kowdley K, Trepo C, Gray Df D, Sullivan M, Kleber K, Ebrahimi R, Xiong S, Brosgart CL. Adefovir dipivoxil alone or in combination with lamivudine in patients with lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:91-101.
- Sherman KE, Shire NJ, Rouster SD, Peters MG, James Koziel M, Chung RT, Horn PS. Viral kinetics in hepatitis C or hepatitis C/human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:313-327.
- Chung RT, Andersen J, Volberding P, Robbins GK, Liu T, Sherman KE, Peters MG, Koziel MJ, Bhan AK, Alston B, Colquhoun D, Nevin T, Harb G, van der Horst C; AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5071 Study Team. Peginterferon Alfa-2a plus ribavirin versus interferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C in HIV-coinfected persons. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:451-459.
- Graham CS, Wells A, Liu T, Sherman KE, Peters M, Chung RT, Bhan AK, Andersen J, Koziel MJ; ACTG 5071 Study Team. Antigen-specific immune responses and liver histology in HIV and hepatitis C coinfection. AIDS. 2005;19:767-773.
- Guy JE, Qian P, Lowell JA, Peters MG. Recurrent primary biliary cirrhosis: Peritransplant factors and ursodeoxycholic acid treatment post-liver transplant. Liver Transpl. 2005;11:1252-1257.
- Combes B, Emerson SS, Flye NL, Munoz SJ, Luketic VA, Mayo MJ, McCashland TM, Zetterman RK, Peters MG, Di Bisceglie AM, Benner KG, Kowdley KV, Carithers RL Jr, Rosoff L Jr, Garcia-Tsao G, Boyer JL, Boyer TD, Martinez EJ, Bass NM, Lake JR, Barnes DS, Bonacini M, Lindsay KL, Mills AS, Markin RS, Rubin R, West AB, Wheeler DE, Contos MJ, Hofmann AF. Methotrexate (MTX) plus ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2005;42:1184-1193.
- Luetkemeyer A, Hare CB, Stansell J, Tien PC, Charlesbois E, Lum P, Havlir D, Peters M. Clinical presentation and course of acute hepatitis C infection in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006;41:31-36.