Assistant Professor of Medicine in Residence
University of California San Francisco
The J. David Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology
San Francisco, CA
- T-cell production in HIV-1 disease
- Immune reconstitution in HIV-1 disease
Dr Napolitano is Assistant Investigator at the J. David Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology and Assistant Professor of Medicine in Residence, Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of California San Francisco. She is also attending physician in Infectious Diseases at the Veterans Administration Medical Center and San Francisco General Hospital. Dr Napolitano's research interests include immune reconstitution and T-cell production and function in HIV-1 disease.
- Sigma Xi National Research Honor Society (1985)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health Research Scholar, National Institutes of Health (1987-1989)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Rochester School of Medicine (1991)
- Will Rogers Fellowship in Infectious Disease, University of California San Francisco (1996-1997)
- Prize for Scientific Excellence, The J. David Gladstone Institutes, University of California San Franscisco (2001)
- Williams College, BA Biology cum laude
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, MD with Distinction in Research
- Napolitano LA, Grant RM, Deeks SG, Schmidt D, De Rosa SC, Herzenberg LA, Herndier BG, Andersson J, McCune JM. Increased production of IL-7 accompanies HIV-1-mediated T-cell depletion: implications for T-cell homeostasis. Nat Med. 2001;7:73-79.
- Teixeira L, Valdez H, McCune JM, Koup RA, Badley AD, Hellerstein MK, Napolitano LA, Douek DC, Mbisa G, Deeks S, Harris JM, Barbour JD, Gross BH, Francis IR, Halvorsen R, Asaad R, Lederman MM. Poor CD4 T cell restoration after suppression of HIV-1 replication may reflect lower thymic function. AIDS. 2001;15:1749-1756.
- Napolitano LA, Lo JC, Gotway MB, Mulligan K, Barbour JD, Schmidt D, Grant RM, Halvorsen RA, Schambelan M, McCune JM. Increased thymic mass and circulating naive CD4 T cells in HIV-1-infected adults treated with growth hormone. AIDS. 2002;16:1103-1111.
- Napolitano LA, Stoddart CA, Hanley MB, Wieder E, McCune JM. Effects of IL-7 on early human thymocyte progenitor cells in vitro and in SCID-hu Thy/Liv mice. J Immunol. 2003;171:645-654.
- Napolitano LA. Approaches to immune reconstitution in HIV infection.Top HIV Med. 2003;11:160-163.
- Hanley MB, Napolitano LA, McCune JM. Growth hormone-induced stimulation of multilineage human hematopoiesis. Stem Cells. 2005;23:1170-1179.
- Napolitano LA, Burt TD, Bacchetti P, Barrón Y, French AL, Kovacs A, Anastos K, Young M, McCune JM, Greenblatt RM. Increased circulating interleukin-7 levels in HIV-1-infected women. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;40:581-584.