Professor of Medicine
Division of Geriatrics and Department of Neurology
Department of Medicine
San Francisco, CA
- HIV-related dementia
- Aging and HIV
- Monocyte trafficking in HIV
Dr Valcour is Associate Professor of Geriatric Medicine at the Memory and Aging Center, University of California San Francisco. His research is mostly conducted internationally in Southeast Asia. His US research focuses on cognition in aging HIV patients and risk for other neurogenerative disorders associated with the disease.
- Working Group on HIV and Aging, Office of AIDS Research, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Member, NeuroAIDS and other End-organ Diseases (NAED) NIH study section
- University of Vermont, BS, Education
- University of Vermont, MD
- St Joseph Hospital, Internal Medicine Residency and Board Certification
- University of Hawaii, Fellowship and Board Certification, Geriatric Medicine
- University of California San Francisco, Fellowship, Neurobehavior
- Valcour V, Paul R, Neuhaus J, Shikuma C. The effects of age and HIV on neuropsychological performance. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2011;17:190-195.
- Valcour VG, Shiramizu BT, Shikuma CM. HIV DNA in circulating monocytes as a mechanism to dementia and other HIV complications. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:621-626.
- Pumpradit W, Ananworanich J, Lolak S, Shikuma C, Paul R, Siangphoe U, Chaoniti N, Kaew-On P, Paris R, Ruxrungtham K, Valcour V, Southeast Asia Research Collaboration with Hawaii (SEARCH) 005 Protocol Team. Neurocognitive impairment and psychiatric comorbidity in well-controlled human immunodeficiency virus-infected Thais from the 2NN Cohort Study. J Neurovirol. 2010;16:76-82.
- Valcour VG, Shiramizu BT, Sithinamsuwan P, et al. HIV DNA and cognition in a Thai longitudinal HAART initiation cohort: the SEARCH 001 Cohort Study. Neurology. 2009;72:992-998.
- Valcour V, Watters MR, Williams AE, Sacktor N, McMurtray A, Shikuma C. Aging exacerbates extrapyramidal motor signs in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Neurovirol. 2008;14:362-367.
- McMurtray A, Nakamoto B, Shikuma C, Valcour V. Cortical atrophy and white matter hyperintensities in HIV: the Hawaii Aging with HIV Cohort Study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008;17:212-217.
- Ratto-Kim S, Chuenchitra T, Pulliam L, Paris R, Sukwit S, Gongwon S, Sithinamsuwan P, Nidhinandana S, Thitivichianlert S, Shiramizu BT, de Souza MS, Chitpatima ST, Sun B, Rempel H, Nitayaphan S, Williams K, Kim JH, Shikuma CM, Valcour VG, Southeast Asia Research Collaboration with the University of Hawaii (SEARCH) 001 protocol team. Expression of monocyte markers in HIV-1 infected individuals with or without HIV associated dementia and normal controls in Bangkok Thailand. J Neuroimmunol. 2008;195:100-107.
- Sacktor N, Skolasky R, Selnes OA, Watters M, Poff P, Shiramizu B, Shikuma C, Valcour V. Neuropsychological test profile differences between young and old human immunodeficiency virus-positive individuals. J Neurovirol. 2007;13:203-209.
- Valcour VG, Sacktor NC, Paul RH, et al. Insulin resistance is associated with cognition among HIV-1-infected patients: the Hawaii Aging With HIV cohort. JAIDS. 2006;43:405-410.
- Valcour V, Shikuma C, Shiramizu B, et al. Higher frequency of dementia in older HIV-1 individuals: the Hawaii Aging with HIV-1 Cohort. Neurology. 2004;63:822-827.