NIAID HIV Research Clinic
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
- Immune-based therapies in the treatment of HIV
- Immunopathogenesis of HIV infection
- Structured treatment interruptions
- Novel antiretroviral strategies
- Interleukin-2 therapy and other immune-based approaches to the treatment of HIV-1 infection
Dr Davey is a senior investigator in the intramural program of NIAID and serves as Medical Director of the NIAID outpatient HIV research clinic, a clinical trials unit specializing in studies of novel antiretroviral, immune-based hterapies and vaccine strategies in the management or prevention of HIV-1 infection. He has also recently been appointed Chief of the Clinical Research Section in NIAID's Laboratory of Immunoregulation. He also attends on the Infectious Diseases consultation service at the Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center.
- Steering committee of the international phase III ESPRIT trial
- NIAID Promotion and Tenure Committee
- NIAID AIDS Loan Repayment Committee
- NIAID Award for Outstanding Performance (1992–1995)
- NIAID Merit Award
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, BS in Life Sciences (1976)
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, MD (1980)
- The Boston University Medical Center, Residency in Internal Medicine (1980–1983)
- The National Institutes of Health, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1984–1987)
- Davey RT Jr., Chaitt DG, Reed GF, et al. Randomized controlled phase I/II trial of combination therapy with delavirdine (u-90152s) and conventional nucleosides in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1-infected patients. Antimicrobial Agents & Chemother. 1996;40:1657-1664.
- Davey RT Jr., Chaitt DG, Piscitelli SC, et al. Subcutaneous administration of interleukin-2 in HIV-1-infected persons. J Infect Dis. 1997;175:781-789.
- Kovacs JA, Vogel S, Albert JM, et al. Controlled trial of interleukin-2 infusions in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1350-1356.
- Davey RT Mr., Chaitt DG, Albert JM, et al. A randomized trial of high versus low dose subcutaneous interleukine-2 outpatient therapy in early HIV-1 infection. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:849-858.
- Weissman D, Dybul M, Davey RT, et al. IL-2 upregulates expression of the HIV fusion coreceptor CCR5 by CD4+ lymphocyte in vivo. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:933-938.
- Chun T-W, Engel D, Mizell SB, et al. Effect of interleukin-2 administration on the pool of latently infected, resting CD4+ T cells in HIV-1 infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. Nat Med. 1999;5:651-655.
- Davey Jr. RT, Bhat N, Yoder C, et al. HIV-1 and T cell dynamics following interruption of HAART in patients with a history of sustained viral suppression. PNAS USA. 1999;96:15109-15114.
- Chun TW, Davey RT, Engel D, et al. Re-emergence of HIV after stopping therapy. Nature. 1999;401:874-875.
- Davey R, Murphy R, Graziano F, et al. Immunologic and virologic effects of subcutaneous interleukin 2 in combination with antiretroviral therapy: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2000;284:183-189.
- Chun TW, Davey RT Jr, Ostrowski M, et al. Relationship between pre-existing viral reservoirs and the re-emergence of plasma viremia after discontinuation of highly active anti-retroviral therapy. Nat Med. 2000;6:757-761.