Professor of Virology
University College London
Director of the Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies
University of KwaZulu Natal
Mtubatuba, South Africa
- Antiviral therapy
- Antiviral drug resistance for HIV, hepatitis viruses, and herpes viruses
Dr Pillay is Professor of Virology at University College London, United Kingdom, and Director of the Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies, University of KwaZulu Natal, Mtubatuba, South Africa. Dr Pillay serves as a Specialist in Reference Microbiology Laboratory at Health Protection Agency. Dr Pillay has clinical responsibilities in Virology and specializes in antiviral therapy and drug resistance.
- Member, Drug Resistance Mutations Group, IAS–USA
- Committee Member, UK Department of Health Specialist Advisory Committee on Antimicrobial Resistance (SACAR)
- Member, UK Health Protection Agency Advisory Committee on Sexually Transmitted Infections and AIDS
- Surveillance Group Committee Member, WHO HIV Drug Resistance Surveillance Programme
- Scientific Committee Member, International Workshop on HIV Drug Resistance
- Executive Committee Member, British HIV Association
- University of London, BSc
- University of Sheffield, PhD
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne, MBBS
- FRC Path (Virology)
- Taylor S, van Heeswijk RP, Hoetelmans RM, Workman J, Drake SM, White DJ, Pillay D. Concentrations of nevirapine, lamivudine and stavudine in semen of HIV-1-infected men. AIDS. 2000;14:1979-1984.
- Barlow KL, Tatt ID, Cane PA, Pillay D, Clewley JP. Recombinant strains of HIV type 1 in the United Kingdom. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2001;17:467-474.
- UK Collaborative Group on Monitoring the Transmission of HIV Drug Resistance. Analysis of prevalence of HIV-1 drug resistance in primary infections in the UK. Brit Med J. 2001;322:1087-1088.
- Cane PA, de Ruiter A, Rice P, Wiselka M, Fox R, Pillay D. Resistance-associated mutations in the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C protease gene from treated and untreated patients in the United Kingdom. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:2652-2654.
- Pillay D, Walker AS, Gibb DM, de Rossi A, Kaye S, Ait-Khaled M, Munoz-Fernandez M, Babiker A. Impact of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtypes on virologic response and emergence of drug resistance among children in the Paediatric European Network for Treatment of AIDS (PENTA) 5 trial. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:617-625.
- Taylor S, Cane P, Hue S, Xu L, Wrin T, Lie Y, Hellmann N, Petropoulos C, Workman J, Ratcliffe D, Choudhury B, Pillay D. Identification of a transmission chain of HIV type 1 containing drug resistance-associated mutations. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2003;19:353-361.
- Sabin CA, Wilkins E, Murphy M, Fisher M, de Ruiter A, Easterbrook PJ, Lean C, Vslakis E, Cane PA, Li X, Pillay D. Drug resistance genotypes predict response to amprenavir containing regimens in highly drug experienced HIV-1 infected patients. Antivir Ther. 2003;8:301-308.
- Nelson M, Portsmouth S, Stebbing J, Atkins M, Barr A, Matthews G, Pillay D, Fisher M, Bower M, Gazzard B. An open-label study of tenofovir in HIV-1 and Hepatitis B virus co-infected individuals. AIDS. 2003;17:F7-F10.
- Taylor S, Sadiq ST, Weller I, Kaye S, Workman J, Cane PA, Bennett J, Copas AJ, Drake SM, Pillay D. Drug-resistant HIV-1 in the semen of men receiving antiretroviral therapy with acute sexually transmitted infections. Antivir Ther. 2003;8:479-483.
- Pillay D, Cane PA, Ratcliffe D, Atkins M, Cooper D. Evolution of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus and HIV-1 in co-infected individuals: an analysis of the CAESAR study. CAESAR co-ordinating committee. AIDS. 2000;14:1111-1116.