Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics
Case Western Reserve University
Chief of Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology
Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospitals
- Metabolic complications of HIV therapy
- Mitochondrial toxicity of antiretrovirals
- Lactic acidosis, bone disease, and lipodystrophy
Dr McComsey is Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics at Case Western Reserve University, and Chief of Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology at Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospitals in Cleveland Ohio. She is also a Primary Investigator on several NIH- and ACTG-funded studies.
- Vice-Chair, ACTG Metabolic Focus Group
- Member, ACTG Complication of HIV Therapy Research Agenda Committee
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- HIV Medicine Association
- Research paper voted 1 of 6 best articles in basic science for "Best of AIDS 2003"
- St Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon, MD (1982-1989)
- Seton Hall University, St Joseph's and Medical Center, Interneship, Medicine/Pediatrics (1990-1991)
- Case Wester Reserve University, Medicine/Pediatric Residency (1991-1994)
- Case Western Reserve University of Medicine, Fellowship, Combined Adult and Pediatric Infectious Diseases (1994-1997)
- Lonergan TJ, McComsey GA, Fisher RL, et al. Lack of recurrence of hyperlactatemia in HIV-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudine. (In press, JAIDS 2004)
- McComsey GA, Ward DJ, Hessenthaler SM, Sension MG, Shalit P, Lonergan JT, Fisher RL, Williams VC, Hernandez JE; Trial to Assess the Regression of Hyperlactatemia and to Evaluate the Regression of Established Lipodystrophy in HIV-1-Positive Subjects (TARHEEL; ESS40010) Study Team. Improvement in lipoatrophy associated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudine: the results of the TARHEEL study. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:263-270.
- McComsey GA, Yau L. Asymptomatic hyperlactataemia: predictive value, natural history and correlates. Antivir Ther. 2004;9:205-212.
- McComsey G, Bhumbra N, Ma JF, Rathore M, Alvarez A; First Pediatric Switch Study. Impact of protease inhibitor substitution with efavirenz in HIV-infected children: results of the First Pediatric Switch Study. Pediatrics. 2003;111:e275-e281.
- McComsey GA, Morrow JD. Lipid oxidative markers are significantly increased in lipoatrophy but not in sustained asymptomatic hyperlactatemia. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003;34:45-49.
- McComsey G, Tan DJ, Lederman M, Wilson E, Wong LJ. Analysis of the mitochondrial DNA genome in the peripheral blood leukocytes of HIV-infected patients with or without lipoatrophy. AIDS. 2002;16:513-518.
- McComsey GA, Whalen CC, Mawhorter SD, Asaad R, Valdez H, Patki AH, Klaumunzner J, Gopalakrishna KV, Calabrese LH, Lederman MM. Placebo-controlled trial of prednisone in advanced HIV-1 infection. AIDS. 2001;15:321-327.