Professor of Medicine
University of Barcelona
Head, Infectious Diseases and AIDS Units
- AIDS: Efficacy and toxicity of new antiretrovirals
- Antiretroviral therapy
- Tuberculosis, toxoplasmosis
Dr Gatell is the Senior Consultant and Head of the Infectious Diseases and AIDS Units of the Hospital Clinic of Barcelona and a Professor of Medicine at the University of Barcelona.
- President, Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology (1997-1999)
- Co-Chair, XIV World Conference on AIDS, Barcelona (2002)
- Associate editor of several Spanish and international journals, including Clinical Infectious Diseases
- Member, Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- University of Barcelona, MD (1976), PhD (1981)
- Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Residency, Internal Medicine (1976-1980)
- Harvard Medical School, Fellowship, Infectious Diseases (1980-1982)
- Arribas JR, Pulido F, Miro JM, Costa MA, Gonzalez J, Rubio R et al. High effectiveness of efavirenz-based highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected patients with fewer than 100 CD4 cells and opportunistic diseases: the EfaVIP study (Efavirenz in Very Immunosuppressed Patients). AIDS. 2002;16:1554-1556.
- Garcia F, Plana M, Mestre G, Amedo M, Gil C, Miro JM et al. Immunological and virological factors at baseline may predict response to structured therapy interruption in early stage chronic HIV-1 infection. AIDS. 2002;16:1761-1765.
- Garcia F, Plana M, Mestre G, Cruceta A, Martinez E, Miro JM et al. Metabolic and immunological effects of antiretroviral agents in healthy individuals receiving postexposure prophylaxis. Antivir Ther. 2002;7:195-197.
- Lundgren JD, Mocroft A, Gatell JM, Ledergerber B, D'Arminio Monforte A, Hermans P, Goebel FD, Blaxhult A, Kirk O, Phillips AN; EuroSIDA Study Group. A clinically prognostic scoring system for patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy: results from the EuroSIDA study. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:178-187.
- Martinez E, Miro JM, Almirante B, Aguado JM, Fernandez-Viladrich P, Fernandez-Guerrero ML et al. Effect of penicillin resistance of Steptococcus pneumonia on the presentation, prognosis, and treatment of pneumococcal endocarditis in adults. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:130-139.
- Plana M, Garcia F, Gatell JM. Immunological reconstitution: Nevirapine vs. Protease inhibitors containing regimens. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2002;29:429-435.
- Podzamczer D, Ferrer E, Consiglio E, Gatell JM, Perez P, Perez JL et al. A randomized clinical trial comparing nelfinavir or nevirapine associated to zidovudine/lamivudine in HIV-infected naive patients (the Combine Study). Antivir Ther. 2002;7:81-90.
- Schacker TW, Nguyen PL, Martinez E, Reilly C, Gatell JM, Horban A et al. Persistent abnormalities in lymphoid tissues of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients successfully treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:1092-1097.
- Soriano A, Martinez C, Garcia F, Plana M, Palou E, Lejeune M et al. Plasma stromal cell-derived factor (SDF)-1 levels, SDF1-3'A genotype, and expression of CXCR4 on T-lymphocyctes: their impact on resistance to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and its progression. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:922-931.
- Tortajada C, Perez-Cuevas B, Moreno A, Martinez E, Mallolas J, Garcia F et al. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) modifies the incidence and outcome of visceral leishmaniasis in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2002;30:364-366.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society-USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)