University of California San Diego
La Jolla, California
Topics of Professional Interest:
- Antiretroviral drug resistance
- Pharmacology/pharmacogenetics of antiretrovirals
- HIV cohort studies
- Natural history of HIV infection in patients receiving antiretroviral therapy
- Laboratory monitoring of antiretroviral treatment
- HIV viral fitness
Committees and Organizations:
- Member, Swiss Expert Commission for HIV/AIDS
- Member, Scientific Board, Swiss HIV Cohort Study
Honors and Awards:
- Research Award, European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (1997)
- Research Award, Swiss Society of Infectious Diseases (1993)
- Mayo Clinic Awards for Achievements in Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine (1989 and 1990)
- University of Oviedo, Spain, MD (1982)
- Mayo Clinic, Residency in Internal Medicine (1984–1987)
- Mayo Clinic, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1987–1990)
- University of Bern, Fellowship in Microbiology
- Telenti A, Imboden P, Marchesi F, Lowrie D, Cole S, Colston MJ, Matter L, Schopfer K, Bodmer T. Detection of rifampicin-resistance mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Lancet. 1993;341:647-650.
- Takiff HE, Salazar L, Guerrero C, Philipp W, Huang WM, Kreiswirth B, Cole ST, Jacobs WR Jr, Telenti A. Cloning and nucleotide sequence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis gyrA and gyrB genes and detection of quinolone resistance mutations. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1994;38:773-780.
- Telenti A, Philipp WJ, Sreevatsan S, Bernasconi C, Stockbauer KE, Wieles B, Musser JM, Jacobs WR Jr. The emb operon, a unique gene cluster of Mycobacterium tuberculosis involved in resistance to ethambutol. Nat Med. 1997;3:567-570.
- Kaufmann D, Pantaleo G, Sudre P, Telenti A. CD4-cell count in HIV-1-infected individuals remaining viraemic with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Lancet. 1998;351:723-724.
- Ledergerber B, Egger M, Erard V, Weber R, Hirschel B, Furrer H, Battegay M, Vernazza P, Bernasconi E, Opravil M, Kaufmann D, Sudre P, Francioli P, Telenti A. AIDS-related opportunistic illnesses occurring after initiation of potent antiretroviral therapy: the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. JAMA. 1999;282:2220-2226.
- Greub G, Ledergerber B, Battegay M, Grob P, Perrin L, Furrer H, Burgisser P, Erb P, Boggian K, Piffaretti JC, Hirschel B, Janin P, Francioli P, Flepp M, Telenti A. Clinical progression, survival, and immune recovery during antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV-1 and hepatitis C virus coinfection: the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Lancet. 2000;356:1800-1805.
- Bleiber G, Muñoz M, Ciuffi A, Meylan P, Telenti A. Individual contributions of mutant protease and reverse transcriptase to viral infectivity, replication, and protein maturation of antiretroviral drug-resistant human immunodeficiency virus type 1. J Virol. 2001;75:3291-3300.
- Peters S, Muñoz M, Yerly S, Sanchez-Merino V, Lopez Galindez C, Perrin L, Larder B, Cmarko D, Fakan S, Meylan P, Telenti A. Resistance to nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitors mediated by HIV-1 p6Gag. J Virol. 2001. In press.