Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors
- Measurement of HIV drug resistance
- Acute/early HIV infection
- Simplified antiretroviral regimens
- An approach to intravenous drug users
Dr Conway is the coordinator of the downtown Infectious Diseases Clinic in Vancouver, BC, and also serves as the HIV/ID consultant to the Gastown Medical Clinic, dedicated to treating injection drug users. He is the coordinator of the HIV program for the undergraduate medical curriculum at the University of British Columbia as well as the graduate studies program in therapeutics.
- Member, Resistance Testing Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA (1998-2005)
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of AIDS (2000–)
- Member, BC Ministry of Health Advisory Committee on HIV (1998–)
- Young Investigator Award, Canadian Infectious Diseases Society (1992)
- Young Investigator Award, Canadian Association for HIV Research (1992)
- Researcher of the Year, UBC Department of Medicine (1995)
- Award of Excellence, Canadian Hemophilia Society (1998)
- McGill University, MDCM (1982)
- McGill University, Internal Medicine Residency (1982-1986)
- University of Manitoba, Infectious Diseases Fellowship (1986-1988)
- Harvard University, HIV/AIDS Fellowship (1988-1990)
- Conway B, Halliday WC, Brunham RC. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-associated progressive multifocal leuko-encephalopathy: apparent response to 3'-azido3'-deoxythymidine (AZT). Rev Infect Dis. 1990;12:479-483.
- Kusumi K, Conway B, Cunningham S, Berson A, Evans C, Iversen AKN, Colvin
D, Gallo MV, Contre S, Shpaer EG, Faulkner DV, de Ronde A, Volkman S, Williams C, Hirsch MS, Mullins JI. HIV-1 envelope gene structure and diversity in vivo and following short-term co-cultivation in vitro. J Virol. 1992;66:875-885.
- Conway B, Monpetit M, Raboud J, Salas T, Dufour D, Montaner JSG, O'Shaughnessy MV. Potential applications of proviral load measurement in clinical retrovirology. J Acq Imm Def Synd 10 (Suppl). 1995;S45-S50.
- Montaner JSG, Reiss P, Cooper D, Vella S, Harris M, Conway B, Wainberg MA, Robinson P, Hall D, Myers M, Lange JMA. A randomized, double-blinded trial comparing the immunologic and virologic effects of nevirapine, didanosine and zidovudine combinations among antiretroviral naive, AIDS-free, HIV-1 infected patients with CD4 counts between 200 and 600/mm3. J Amer Med Assoc. 1998;279:930-937.
- Conway B, Routy JP, Sékaly RP. Combination therapy for HIV. Expert opinion on investigational drugs. 1998;7:941-961.
- Hirsch MS, Conway B, Richman D, Brun-Vézinet F, Clotet B, D'Aquila RT, et al. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adults with HIV infection. J Amer Med Assoc. 1998;279:1984-1991.
- Hall DB, Montaner JSG, Reiss P, Cooper D, Vella S, Dohnanyi C, Myers M, Lange J, Conway B. Induction-maintenance antiretroviral therapy: proof of concept. AIDS. 1998 (May);12:F1-F4.
- Conway B. Initial therapy with protease inhibitor-sparing regimens: evaluation of nevirapine and delavirdine. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:S130-S134.
- Conway B, Montessori V, Rouleau D, Montaner JS, O'Shaughnessy MV, Fransen S, Shillington A, Weislow O, Mayers DL. Primary lamivudine resistance in acute early human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;28:910-911.
- Hirsch MS, Brun-Vézinet F, D'Aquila RT, Hammer SM, Johnson VA, Kuritzkes DR, Loveday C, Mellors JW, Clotet B, Conway B, Demeter IM, Vella S, Jacobsen DM, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adult HIV-1 infection: recommendations of an IAS–USA Panel. JAMA. 2000;283:2417-2426.