Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases and Program in Global Health
University of California, Los Angeles
Former, Chief, CDC HIV and TB Branch, South Africa
Former, Deputy Health Officer and STD Controller, San Francisco
- Pathogenesis and epidemiology of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of STDs including HIV infection
- Role of the Internet in STD/HIV prevention
- Epidemiology, management, and prevention of STDs
- Role of the Internet, methamphetamine, and sildenafil in STD/HIV epidemiology and prevention
- Male circumcision
Dr. Klausner is a public health expert, infectious disease specialist and the Senior Editor of Lange Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
- Past President, California STD Controller's Association
- Member, UCSF Center for AIDS Research Advisory Board
- Co-Chair, The National Institute of Mental Health Biological Outcomes Working Group for HIV/STD Collaborative Prevention Trial
- Member, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Member, American STD Association
- Member, Mayor's Task Force on Crystal Methamphetamine
- American STD Association Young Investigator Award (2002)
- Nominee, Kaiser Excellence in Teaching (2002)
- Community Award 2002 San Francisco Suicide Prevention
- Cornell University, BA (1984)
- Cornell University, MD (with Honors in Research) (1991)
- NYU-Bellevue Hospital Center, Residency in Internal Medicine (1994)
- Harvard University, MPH (1995)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer (1997)
- University of Washington, Infectious Diseases Fellowship (1998)
- Klausner JD, Grant RM, Kent CK. Detection of acute HIV infections. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:631-633.
- Lukehart SA, Godornes C, Molini BJ, Sonnett P, Hopkins S, Mulcahy F, Engelman J, Mitchell SJ, Rompalo AM, Marra CM, Klausner JD. Macrolide resistance in Treponema pallidum in the United States and Ireland. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:154-158.
- Buchacz K, Patel P, Taylor M, Kerndt PR, Byers RH, Holmberg SD, Klausner JD. Syphilis increases HIV viral load and decreases CD4 cell counts in HIV-infected patients with new syphilis infections. AIDS. 2004;18:2075-2079.
- Klausner JD, Levine DK, Kent CK. Internet-based site-specific interventions for syphilis prevention among gay and bisexual men. AIDS Care. 2004;16:964-970.
- Moss NJ, Gallaread A, Siller J, Klausner JD. "Street medicine": Collaborating with a faith-based organization to screen at-risk youths for sexually transmitted diseases. Am J Public Health. 2004;94:1081-1084.
- Klausner JD, Wolf W, Fischer-Ponce L, Zolt I, Katz MH. Tracing a syphilis outbreak through cyberspace. JAMA. 2000;284:447-449.