Murray Rosenberg Professor of Medicine
Chairman, Samuel F. Bronfman Department of Medicine
Chief, Division of Nephrology
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY
- HIV-related renal disease
- Antiviral therapy
- HIV pathogenesis
- Gene therapy
Dr Klotman is the Murray Rosenberg Professor of Medicine and Chairman of the Samuel F. Bronfman Department of Medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
- American Professors of Medicine
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- American Association of Professors
- Chairman, American Society of Nephrology Program Committee
- Scientific Advisory Committee, Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Henry Christian Award for Medical Research, American Federation for Clinical Research (1988, 1991, 1992, 1993)
- Tenured National Institutes of Health Intramural Scientist (1993)
- Elected to American Society for Clinical Investigation (1993)
- Elected to Association of American Physicians (2001)
- University of Michigan, BS (1972)
- Indiana University Medical School, MD (1976)
- Nelson PJ, Gelman IH, Klotman PE. Suppression of HIV-1 expression by inhibitors of cyclin-dependent kinases promotes differentiation of infected podocytes. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12:2827-2831.
- Schwartz EJ, Fierer DS, Neumann AU, Keller MJ, Parkas V, Zhang DY, Klotman ME, Winston JA, Klotman PE. HIV-1 dynamics in haemodialysis patients. AIDS. 2002;16:1301-1303.
- Husain M, Gusella GL, Klotman ME, Gelman IH, Ross MD, Schwartz EJ, Cara A, Klotman PE. HIV-1 nef induces anchorage-independent growth of cultured podocytes. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002;13:1806-1815.
- Marras D, Bruggeman LA, Gao F, Tanji N, Mansukhani MM, Cara A, Ross MD, Gusella GL, Benson G, D'Agati VD, Hahn BH, Klotman ME, Klotman PE. Replication and compartmentalization of HIV-1 in kidney epithelium of patients with HIV-associated nephropathy. Nat Med.2002;8:522-526.
- Ross MD, Bruggeman LA, Hanss B, Sunamoto M, Marras D, Klotman ME, Klotman PE. Podocan, a novel SLRP expressed in the sclerotic glomerular lesion of experimental HIV AN. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:33248-33255.
- Sunamoto M, Husain M, He JC, Schwartz EJ, Klotman PE. Critical role for Nef in HIV-1-induced podocyte dedifferentiation. Kidney Int. 2003;64:1695-1701.
- Gharavi AG, Ahmad T, Wong RD, Hooshyar R, Vaughn J, Oller S, Frankel RZ, Bruggeman LA, D'Agati VD, Klotman PE, Lifton RP. Mapping a locus for susceptibility to HIV-1 associated nephropathy to mouse chromosome 3. PNAS. 2004;101:2488-2493.
- Kaufman L, Hayashi K, Ross MD, Ross MJ, Klotman PK. Sidekick expression is upregulated in glomeruli in HIV-associated nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:1721-1730.
- He JC, Husain M, Sunamoto M, Klotman M, Iyengar R, Klotman PE. Role of Nef signaling in the phenotypic changes of podocytes in HIV-associated nephropathy. JCI. 2004;114:643-651.
- Richardson MW, Hostalek L, Michellebson M, Hu J, Shippy R, Siwkowski A, Marmur JD, Khalil K, Klotman PE, Hampel A, Rappaport J. Design, targeting, and initial screening of sTRSV-derived hairpin ribozymes for optimum helix 1 length and catalytic efficiency in vitro. Methods Mol Biol. 2004;252:339-358.