Professor of Laboratory Medicine, Medicine and Stomatology
Director, General Clinical Research Center
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
- Human papillomaviruses
- Anogenital cancer
- HIV-HPV molecular interactions
Dr Palefsky's research interests include the molecular biology and pathogenesis of HPV-associated anogenital neoplasia in the HIV-seropositive host. He is the Program Director of the UCSF/Moffett General Clinical Research Center.
- AIDS Malignancy Consortium (1999–)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Chair, AIDS Malignancy Consortium HPV Working Group (1999–)
- McGill University, MD (1980)
- McGill University, Residency in Medicine (1980–1984)
- Stanford University, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1985–1989)
- Turner MA, Palefsky JM. Epithelial:stromal interactions modulating penetration of HPV 16-transfected keratinocytes through matrigel membranes. J Invest Dermatol. 1997;109:619-625.
- Palefsy JM, Holly EA, Ralston ML, Jay N. Prevalence and risk factors for human papillomavirus infection of the anal canal in HIV-positive and HIV-negative homosexual men. J Acquir Immun Defic Syndr. 1998;177:361-367.
- Palefsky JM, Holly EA, Ralston ML, Arthur SP, Jay N, Berry JM, DaCosta MM, Botts R, Darragh TM. Anal squamous intraepithelial lesions among HIV-positive and HIV-negative homosexual and bisexual men: prevalence and risk factors. J Acquir Immun Defic Syndr. 1998;17:320-326.
- Palefsky JM, Holly EA, Ralston ML, Jay N, Berry JM, Darragh TM. High incidence of anal high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions among HIV-positive and HIV-negative homosexual/bisexual men. AIDS. 1998;12:495-503.
- Palefsky JM, Minkoff H, Kalish LA, Levine A, Sacks HS, Garcia P, Young M, Melnick S, Miotti P, Burk R. Cervicovaginal human papillomavirus infection in HIV-positive and high risk HIV-negative women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999;91:226-235.
- Goldie SJ, Kuntz KM, Weinstein MC, Freedberg KA, Welton ML, Palefsky JM. The clinical-effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of screening for anal squamous intraepithelial lesions in homosexual and bisexual HIV-positive men. JAMA. 1999;281:1822-2829.
- Lagenaur L, Palefsky JM. Regulation of EBV promoters in oral epithelial cells and lymphocytes. J Virol. 1999;73:6566-6572.
- Godie SJ, Kuntz KM, Weinstein MC, Freedberg KA, Palefsky JM. The clinical benefits and cost-effectiveness of screening for anal squamous intraepithelial lesions and anal squamous cell cancer in homosexual and bisexual men. Am J Med. 2000;108:634-641.
- Palefsky JM, Holly EA, Ralston ML, Da Costa M, Greenblatt RM. Prevalence and risk factors for anal HPV infection in HIV-positive and high-risk HIV-negative women. J Infec Dis. In press.
- Haga T, Kim SH, Jensen RH, Darragh T, Palefsky JM. Detection of genetic changes in anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN) of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive and HIV-negative men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. In press.