Professor of Medicine
Director, Academy of Medical Educators
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
- HIV ethics
- Difficult clinical management
Dr Cooke was the founding chair of the ethics committee at San Francisco General Hospital and has had extensive involvement with the ethical problems arising in urban public hospitals, particularly those associated with HIV illness and resource allocation decisions. Her research has concentrated on the ethics of HIV, occupational risk and professional responsibility, the role of primary care clinicians in HIV illness, and the attitudes and experiences of HIV-infected patients in federally funded research programs. She has spoken to national organizations, including the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, and the Association of American Medical Colleges and to both National AIDS Commissions (1988 and 1990) on clinical care and ethical and policy issues in the HIV epidemic, and was a founding co-director of the AIDS Task Force of the Society for General Internal Medicine. Her current teaching efforts at the residency level focus on the primary care residents in the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Department of General Internal Medicine. She is an active teacher at the medical student level, serving as the founding Director and currently Co-Director of "Foundations of Patient Care," an innovative six-quarter preceptorship-based course for first- and second-year students. She is the Co-Director of the campus-wide Center for Collaborative Primary Care and has twice received the Kaiser Family Foundation Teaching Award as well as the UCSF Academic Senate Award for Distinction in Teaching. Dr Cooke has served as Chair of the Chancellor's Advisory Committee on the Status of Women (CACSW) and was the 1996 recipient of the UCSF Chancellor's Award for the Advancement of Women.
- Chancellor's Award for the Advancement of Women (1996)
- Commendation, Outstanding Leadership in Clinical Preceptorship, class of 2000 (1997)
- Victor Jones Memorial Award for Outstanding Community Service, Project Open Hand (1997)
- Henry J. Kaiser Lifetime Award for Excellence in Teaching (1998)
- Crede Award for Excellence, Community Service (2000)
- Stanford University, BA Biology (1973)
- Stanford University School of Medicine, MD (1977)
- University of California San Francisco, Residency (1977–1980)
- University of California San Francisco, Chief Residency (1980–1981)
- University of California San Francisco, Kaiser Fellow, General Internal Medicine (1981–1983)
- Folkman S, Chesney MA, Cooke M, Boccellari A, Collette L. "Caregiver Burden in Partners of Men with AIDS." J Clin Consult Psychol. 1994;62:746-756.
- Schultz P, Bindman AB, Cooke M. "Proficiency of Internal Medicine Residents in Outpatient Care of Patients with HIV." J Gen Intern Med. 1994;9:459-461.
- Lester P, Partridge JC, Chesney MA, Cooke M. "The Consequences of a Positive Prenatal HIV Antibody Test for Women." J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr and Human Retrovir. 1995;10:341-349.
- Folkman S, Chesney M, Collette L, Boccellari A, Cooke M. "Post-Bereavement Depressive Mood and Its Pre-Bereavement Predictors in HIV+ and HIV- Gay Men." J Personality Social Psychol. 1996; 70:336-348.
- Swig L, Cooke M, Osmond D, Luce JA, Brody RV, Bird C, Luce JM. "Physician Responses to a Hospital Policy Allowing Them to Not Offer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation." J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996;44:1215-1219.
- Cooke M, Gourlay L, Collette L, Boccellari A, Chesney MA, Folkman S. "Dying of AIDS-The Role of Caregivers in Intentionally Hastened Death." Archives of Internal Medicine. 1998;158:69-75.
- Thompson B, Lawson D, Croughan-Minihane M, Cooke M. "Do Patients' Ethnic and Social Factors Influence the Use of Do Not Resuscitate Orders." Ethnicity and Disease. 1999;9:132-139.
- Gerbert B, Brown B, Volberding P, Cooke M, Caspers N, Love C. "A Qualitative Study of Physicians' Transmission Prevention Assessment and Counseling Practices with their HIV-seropositive Patients: 'Consultants' and 'Collaborators'." AIDS Education and Prevention. 1999;11(4):307-320.
- Papadakis MA, Osborn E, Cooke M, Healy K. A Strategy for the Detection and Evaluation of Unprofessional Behavior in Medical Students: A Four Year Cohort Study. Academic Medicine. 1999;74:980-990.
- Nelson W, Angoff N, Binder E, Cooke M, Fleetwood J, Goodlin S, Goodman K, Kaplan K, McCormick T, Meyer M, Sheehan M, Townsend T, Williams P, Winslade W. "Goals and Strategies for Teaching Death and Dying in Medical School." Journal of Palliative Care. 2000;3(1).