Professor of Medicine and Microbiology
Division of Hematology/Oncology
Perelman School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
HIV-1, SIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) transmission, pathogenesis, treatment and prevention
My laboratory has longstanding interests in HIV-1, SIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) transmission, pathogenesis, treatment and prevention. We have developed novel insights into virus replication dynamics (Wei et al., Nature 1995; Wei et al., Nature 2003; Li et al., PloS Pathog 2012; Ribeiro et al., PloS Pathog 2012) and virus escape from cellular (Borrow et al., Nature Med 1997) and humoral (Wei et al., Nature 2003; Bar et al., PloS Pathog 2012) immune responses. More recently, we made novel insights into HIV/SIV/HCV transmission including the molecular identification, characterization and mathematical modeling of transmitted/founder HIV-1, SIV and HCV genomes and their progeny (Keele et al., PNAS 2008; Keele et al., J Exp Med 2009; Salazar et al., J Exp Med 2009; Li et al., PLoS Pathogens 2010; Bar et al., J Virol 2010; Li et al., PLoS Pathog 2012; Ribeiro et al., PLoS Pathog 2012).
- External Advisory Committee Member for the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center
- NIH AIDS Vaccine Research Subcommittee (AVRS), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- Dartmouth College -- Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude (1975)
- Ohio State University -- Alpha Omega Alpha, Summa Cum Laude (1980)
- National AFCR Young Investigator-in-Training Prize (1983)
- Pew Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences (1986)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1989)
- American Association of Physicians (2001)
- Bernard Fields Distinguished Lecturer, CROI (2010)
- Kabra Lecturer, UCSF (2011)
- Dartmouth College, Biology B.A. (1975)
- Ohio State Universty, M.D., Ph.D (1980)
- University of Michigan, Resident in Internal Medicine (1983)
- National Cancer Institute, Postdoctorate in Human Retroviruses (1985)
- Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham, Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology (1987)
1. Keele BF, Giorgi EE, Salazar-Gonzalez J, Decker JM, Pham KT, Salazar MG, Sun C, Grayson T, Wang S, Li H, Wei X, Jiang C, Kirchherr JL, Gao F, Anderson JA, Ping L-H, Swanstrom R, Tomaras GD, Blattner WA, Goepfert PA, Kilby JM, Saag MS, Delwart EL, Busch MP, Cohen MS, Montefiori DC, Haynes BF, Gaschen B, Athreya GS, Lee HY, Wood N, Seoighe C, Perelson AS, Bhattacharya T, Korber BT, Hahn BH and Shaw GM. Identification and characterization of transmitted and early founder virus envelopes in primary HIV-1 infection. PNAS. 105:7552-7557, 2008. PMCID: PMC2387184.
2. Keele BF, Li H, Learn GH, Hraber P, Giorgi EE, Grayson T, Sun C, Chen Y, Yeh WW, Letvin NL, Mascola JR, Nabel GJ, Haynes BF, Bhattacharya T, Perelson AS, Korber BT, Hahn BH and Shaw GM. Low-dose rectal inoculation of rhesus macaques by SIVsmE660 or SIVmac251 recapitulates human mucosal infection by HIV-1. J Exp Med. 206:1117-34, 2009. PMCID: PMC2715022.
3. Salazar-Gonzalez JF, Salazar MG, Keele BF, Learn GH, Giorgi EE, Li H, Decker JM, Wang S, Baalwa J, Kraus MH, Parrish NF, Shaw KS, Guffey MB, Bar KJ, Davis KL, Ochsenbauer-Jambor C, Kappes JC, Saag MS, Cohen MS, Mulenga J, Derdeyn CA, Allen S, Hunter E, Markowitz M, Hraber P, Perelson AS, Bhattacharya T, Haynes BF, Korber BT, Hahn BH and Shaw GM. Genetic identity, biological phenotype and evolutionary pathways of transmitted/founder viruses in acute and early HIV-1 infection. J Exp Med. 206:1273-89, 2009. PMCID: PMC2715054
4. Li H, Stoddard MB, Wang S, Blair LM, Giorgi EE, Parrish EH, Learn GH, Hraber P, Goepfert PA, Saag MS, Denny TN, Haynes BF, Hahn BH, Ribeiro RM, Perelson AS, Korber BT, Bhattacharya T and Shaw GM. Elucidation of Hepatitis C virus transmission and early diversification by single genome sequencing. PLoS Pathog. 8:e1002880, 2012. PMCID: PMC3426529.
5. Ribeiro RM, Li H, Wang S, Stoddard MB, Guedj J, Parrish EH, Hahn BH, Shaw GM and Perelson AS. Quantifying the diversification of hepatitis C virus (HCV) during primary infection: estimates of the in vivo mutation rate. PLoS Pathog. 8:e1002881. PMCID: PMC3426522.
6. Saag M, Hahn BH. Gibbons J, Li Y, Parks ES, Parks WP, Shaw G. Extensive variation of HIV-1 in vivo. Nature. 334:440-444, 1988.
7. Piatak M Jr, Saag MS, Yang LC, Clark SJ, Kappes JC, Luk KC, Hahn BH, Shaw GM, Lifson JD. High levels of HIV-1 in plasma during all stages of infection determined by competitive PCR. Science. 259:1749-1754, 1994.
8. Wei X, Ghosh SK, Taylor ME, Johnson VA, Emini EA, Deutsch P, Lifson JD, Bonhoeffer S, Nowak MA, Hahn BH, Saag MS, Shaw GM. Viral dynamics in HIV-1 infection. Nature. 373:117-122, 1995.
9. Wei X, Decker J, Wang S, Hui H, Kappes J, Wu X, Salazar J, Salazar M, Kilby J, Saag M, Komarova N, Nowak M, Hahn B, Kwong P, Shaw G. Antibody neutralization and escape by HIV-1. Nature. 422:307-312, 2003.
10. Salazar-Gonzalez J, Bailes E, Pham KT, Salazar MG, Guffey MB, Keele BF, Derdeyn CA, Farmer P, Hunter E, Allen S, Manigart O, Mulenga J, Anderson J, Swanstrom R, Haynes BF, Athreya GS, Korber BT, Sharp PM, Shaw GM, Hahn BH. Deciphering human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transmission and early envelope diversification by single-genome amplification and sequencing. J Virol. 82:3952-3970, 2008. PMCID: PMC22930101.
11. Haaland RE, Hawkins PA, Salazar-Gonzalez J, Johnson A, Tichacek A, Karita E, Manigart O, Mulenga J, Keele BF, Shaw GM, Hahn BH, Allen S, Derdeyn CA and Hunter E. Inflammatory genital infections mitigate a severe genetic bottleneck in heterosexual transmission of subtype A and C HIV-1. PLoS Pathog. 5:e1000274, 2009. PMCID: PMC2621345.
12. Abrahams M-R, Anderson JA, Giorgi EE, Seoighe C, Mlisana K, Ping L-H, Athreya GS, Treurnicht F, Keele BF, Wood N, Salazar-Gonzalez J, Bhattacharya T, Chu H, Hoffman I, Galvin S, Mapanje C, Kazembe P, Thebus R, Fiscus S, Hide W, Cohen MS, Karim SA, Haynes BF, Shaw GM, Hahn BH, Korber BT, Swanstrom R and Williamson C. Quantitating the multiplicity of infection with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C reveals a non-Poisson distribution of transmitted variants. J Virol. 83:3556-67, 2009. PMCID: PMC2663249.
13. Li H, Bar KJ, Wang S, Decker JM, Chen Y, Sun C, Salazar-Gonzalez JF, Salazar MG, Learn GH, Morgan CJ, Schumacher JE, Hraber P, Giorgi EE, Bhattacharya T, Korber BT, Perelson AS, Eron J, Cohen MS, Hicks CB, Haynes BF, Markowitz M, Keele BF, Hahn BH, Shaw GM. High multiplicity infection by HIV-1 in men who have sex with men. PLoS Pathog. 5:e1000890, 2010. PMCID: PMC2869329.
14. Bar KJ, Li H, Chamberland A, Tremblay C, Routy JP, Grayson T, Sun C, Wang S, Learn GH, Morgan CJ, Schumacher JE, Haynes BF, Keele BF, Hahn BH, Shaw GM. Wide variation in the multiplicity of HIV-1 infection among injection drug users. J Virol. 84:6241-6247, 2010. PMC2876625.
15. Bar KJ, Tsao C-Y, Iyer S, Decker JM, Yang Y, Bonsiegnori M, Chen X, Hwang K-K, Montefiore DC, Liao H-X, Hraber P, Fischer W, Li H, Wang S, Sterrett S, Keele BF, Ganusov VV, Perelson AS, Korber BT, Georgiev I, McLellan JS, Pavlicek JW, Gao F, Haynes BF, Hahn BH, Kwong PD and Shaw GM. Early low-titer neutralizing antibodies impede HIV-1 replication and select for virus escape. PLoS Pathog. 8:e1002721, 2012. PMCID: PMC3364956.