Director, Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT and Harvard and
Harvard University Center for AIDS Research
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Professor of Medicine
Nelson Mandela School of Medicine
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Durban, South Africa
- Structured treatment interruption
- Acute HIV infection
- HIV pathogenesis
Dr Walker is a Professor of Medicine and Director of the Division of AIDS at Harvard Medical School. He is also a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator; Director of the Partners AIDS Research Center at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston; and Professor of Medicine at Nelson Mandela School of Medicine at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in Durban, South Africa.
- Member, Committee on Research, Massachusetts General Hospital (1989-Present)
- Member, Ad Hoc Committee on AIDS Policy, Massachusetts General Hospital (1990-Present)
- Program Committee Member, Infectious Diseases Society of America (1997)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Elizabeth Glaser Scientist Award, Pediatric AIDS Foundation (1997)
- Chair, Program Committee, Infectious Diseases Society of America (1999)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/Burroughs Wellcome Young Investigator Award in Virology (1988)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1993)
- National Institutes for Health Merit Award (1994)
- Linda Laubenstein Memorial Lecture, Honors Program Lecture, New York University (1994)
- Doris Duke Distinguished Clinical Research Scientist Award (1999)
- Illuminator Award, Cambridge Cares About AIDS (2003)
- Commitment to Children Award, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (2003)
- University of Colorado, Boulder, BA (1976)
- Case Western Reserve University, MD (1980)
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Resident Fellow, Infectious Diseases (1984-1987)
- Brander C, Hartman KE, Trocha AJ, Jones NG, Johnson RP, Korber B, Wentworth P, Buchbinder SP, Wolinsky S, Walker BD, Kalams SA. Lack of strong immune selection pressure by the immunodominant, HLA-A*0201 restricted CTL response in chronic HIV-1 infection. J Clin Invest.1998;101:2559-2566.
- Rosenberg ES, Altfeld M, Poon SH, Phillips MN, Wilkes BM, Eldridge RL, Robbins GK, D'Aquila RT, Goulder PJ, Walker BD. Immune control of HIV-1 after early treatment of acute infection. Nature.2000;407:523-526.
- Lauer GM, Walker BD. Hepatitis C virus infection. N Engl J Med. 2001;345:41-52.
- Goulder PJ, Brander C, Tang Y, Tremblay C, Colbert RA, Addo MM, Rosenberg ES, Nguyen T, Allen R, Trocha A, Altfeld M, He S, Bunce M, Funkhouser R, Pelton SI, Burchett SK, McIntosh K, Korber BT, Walker BD. Evolution and transmission of stable CTL escape mutations in HIV infection. Nature.2001;412:334-338.
- Draenert R, Le Gall S, Pfafferott KJ, Leslie AJ, Chetty P, Brander C, Holmes EC, Change SC, Feeney ME, Addo MM, Ruiz L, Ramduth D, Jeena P, Altfeld M, Thomas S, Tang Y, Verrill CL, Dixon C, Prado JG, Kiepiela P, Martinez-Picado J, Walker BD, Goulder PJ. Immune selection for altered antigen processing leads to cytotoxic T-lymphocyte escape in chronic HIV-1 infection. J Exp Med.2004;199:905-915.
- Deeks SG, Walker BD. The immune response to AIDS virus infection: good, bad, or both? J Clin Invest.2004;113:808-810.
- Leslie AJ, Pfafferott KJ, Chetty P, Draenert R, Addo MM, Feeney M, Tang Y, Holmes EC, Allen T, Prado JG, Altfeld M, Brander C, Dixon C, Ramduth D, Jeena P, Thomas SA, St. John A, Roach TA, Kupfer B, Luzzi G, Edwards A, Taylor G, Lyall H, Tudor-Williams G, Novelli V, Martinez-Picado J, Kiepiela P, Walker BD, Goulder PJ. HIV evolution: CTL escape mutation and reversion after transmission. Nat Med.2004;10:282-289.
- Draenert R, Le Gall S, Pfafferott KJ, Leslie AJ, Chetty P, Brander C, Holmes EC, Chang SC, Feeney ME, Addo MM, Ruiz L, Ramduth D, Jeena P, Altfeld M, Thomas S, Tang Y, Verrill CL, Dixon C, Prado JG, Kiepiela P, Martinez-Picado J, Walker BD, Goulder PJ. Immune selection for altered antigen processing leads to cytotoxic T lymphocyte escape in chronic HIV-1 infection. J Exp Med. 2004;199:905-915.
- Deeks SG, Walker BD. The immune response to AIDS virus infection: good, bad, or both? J Clin Invest. 2004;113:808-810.
- Leslie AJ, Pfafferott KJ, Chetty P, Draenert R, Addo MM, Feeney M, Tang Y, Holmes EC, Allen T, Prado JG, Altfeld M, Brander C, Dixon C, Ramduth D, Jeena P, Thomas SA, St John A, Roach TA, Kupfer B, Luzzi G, Edwards A, Taylor G, Lyall H, Tudor-Williams G, Novelli V, Martinez-Picado J, Kiepiela P, Walker BD, Goulder PJ. Nat Med. 2004;10:282-289.
- Day CL, Walker BD. Progress in defining CD4 helper cell responses in chronic viral infections. J Exp Med. 2003;198:1773-1777.
- Brander C, Walker BD. Gradual adaptation of HIV to human host populations: good or bad news? Nat Med. 2003;9:1359-1362.
- Day CL, Seth NP, Lucas M, Appel H, Gauthier L, Lauer GM, Robbins GK, Szczepiorkowski ZM, Casson DR, Chung RT, Bell S, Harcourt G, Walker BD, Klenerman P, Wucherpfennig KW. Ex vivo analysis of human memory CD4 T cells specific for hepatitis C virus using MHC class II tetramers. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:831-842.
- Letvin NL, Walker BD. Immunopathogenesis and immunotherapy in AIDS virus infections. Nat Med. 2003;9:861-866.
- Yang OO, Sarkis PT, Ali A, Harlow JD, Brander C, Kalams SA, Walker BD. Determinant of HIV-1 mutational escape from cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Exp Med. 2003;197:1365-1375.
- Bhardwaj N, Walker BD. Immunotherapy for AIDS virus infections: cautious optimism for cell-based vaccine. Nat Med. 2003;9:13-14.
- Altfeld M, Allen TM, Yu XG, Johnston MN, Agrawal D, Korber BT, Montefiori DC, O'Connor DH, Davis BT, Lee PK, Maier EL, Harlow J, Goulder PJ, Brander C, Rosenberg ES, Walker BD. HIV-1 superinfection despite broad CD8+ T-cell responses containing replication of the primary virus. Nature. 2002;420:434-439.
- Goulder PJ, Walker BD. HIV-1 superinfection--a word of caution. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:756-758.
- Altfeld M, van Lunzen J, Frahm N, Yu XG, Schneider C, Eldridge RL, Feeney ME, Meyer-Olson D, Stellbrink HJ, Walker BD. Expansion of pre-existing, lymph node-localized CD8+ T cells during supervised treatment interruptions in chronic HIV-1 infection. J Clin Invest. 2002;109:837-843.
- Goulder PJ, Altfeld MA, Rosenberg ES, Nguyen T, Tang Y, Eldridge RL, Addo MM, He S, Mukherjee JS, Phillips MN, Bunce M, Kalams SA, Sekaly RP, Walker BD, Brander C. Substantial differences in specificity of HIV-specific cytotoxic T cells in acute and chronic HIV infection. J Exp Med. 2001;193:181-794.
- Altfeld M, Walker BD. Less is more? STI in acute and chronic HIV-1 infection. Nat Med. 2001;7:881-884.