Professor of Internal Medicine
Medical Director, HIV Clinic
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Opportunistic diseases
- Complications of antiretroviral therapy
- Neuro AIDS
Susan Swindells is a Professor of Internal Medicine in the Section of Infectious Diseases at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, USA. A native of England, Dr. Swindells earned her medical degree from University College London in 1977, with postgraduate training in England and at the University of Washington in Seattle. She has been involved in HIV care since 1988. A clinician and active researcher, Swindells has been principal investigator on many clinical trials. She is on the leadership of the AIDS Clinical Trials Group of the National Institutes of Health. An active teacher on the UNMC campus and outside, Swindells has published multiple articles in scholarly journals, and both contributed to and edited textbooks.
Member, AIDS Research Advisory Committee (ARAC), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), November 2009-October 2013
- Member,TuberculosisTransformative Science Group (TBTSG) of the ACTG
Member, UNMC Institutional Review Board
Chair, Nebraska ADAP Drug Utilization Review Committee
2009 Distinguished Service Award, The Nebraska Infection Control Network, October 2009
2011-2012 “Best Doctors in America” List
2011 Distinguished Scientist Award, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- University College Hospital, London, England, MBBS (1977)
- House Officer, Royal Northern Hospital, London, England (1979)
- University of Washington, Seattle (1979-1980)
1. Swindells S, Flexner C, Fletcher CV, Jacobson JM. The critical need for alternative antiretroviral formulations and obstacles to their development. J Infect Dis 2011; 204:669-674. PMCID: PMC3156101
2. Havlir DV, Kendall MA, Ive P, Kumwenda J, Swindells S, Qasba SS, Luetkemeyer AF, Hogg E, Rooney JF, Wu X, Hosseinipour M, Lalloo U, Veloso VG, Some FF, Kumarasamy N, Padayatchi N, Santos BR, Reid S, Hakim J, Mohapi L, Mugyenyi P, Sanchez J, Lama JR, Pape JW, Sanchez A, Asmelash A, Moko E, Sawe F, Andersen J, Sanne I; the AIDS Clinical Trials Group Study A5221. Timing of antiretroviral therapy for HIV-1 infection and tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1482-91. PMCID: PMC3327101
3. Nahid P, Saukkonen J, Mac Kenzie WR, Johnson JL, Phillips PP, Andersen J, Bliven-Sizemore E, Belisle JT, Boom WH, Luetkemeyer A, Campbell TB, Eisenach KD, Hafner R, Lennox JL, Makhene M, Swindells S, Villarino ME. Weiner M, Benson, C, Burman W. Tuberculosis biomarker and surrogate endpoint research roadmap. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 184:972-9. PMID: 21737585
4. Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, Gamble T, Hosseinipour MC, Kumarasamy N, Hakim JG, Kumwenda J, Grinsztejn B, Pilotto JH, Godbole SV, Mehendale S, Chariyalertsak S, Santos BR, Mayer KH, Hoffman IF, Eshleman SH, Piwowar-Manning E, Wang L, Makhema J, Mills LA, de Bruyn G, Sanne I, Eron J, Gallant J, Havlir D, Swindells S, Ribaudo H, Elharrar V, Burns D, Taha TE, Nielsen-Saines K, Celentano D, Essex M, Fleming TR; the HPTN 052 Sudy Team. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:493-505. PMCID: PMC3200068
5. Lan X, Kiyota T, Hanamsagar R, Huang Y, Andrews S, Peng H, Zheng JC, Swindells S, Carlson GA, Ikezu T. The effect of HIV protease inhibitors on amyloid-β peptide degradation and synthesis in human cells and Alzheimer’s disease animal model. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 2011; Aug 9 [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: PMC3223330
6. Dooley KE, Park JG, Swindells S, Allen R, Haas DW, Cramer Y, Aweeka F, Wiggins I, Gupta A, Lizak P, Qasba S, van Heeswijk R, Flexner C; the ACTG 5267 Study Team. Safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetic interactions of the antituberculous agent TMC207 (bedaquiline) with efavirenz in healthy volunteers: AIDS Clinical Trials Group study A5267. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr; 2011 Nov 28 [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: PMC3302922
7. Sandkovsky U, Swindells S, Moore R, Acosta EP, Fletcher CV. Acceptable plasma concentrations of raltegravir and etravirine when administered by gastrostomy tube in a patient with advanced multidrug-resistant human immunodeficiency virus infection. Pharmacotherapy 2012; 32(2):142-147. PMC Journal-In Process
8. Walburn A, Swindells S, Fisher C, High R, Islam KM. Missed visits and decline in CD4 cell count among HIV-infected patients: A mixed method study. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, available online 16 August, 2012 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2012.06.004). PMC Journal-In Process
9. Roy U, McMillan J, Alnouti Y, Gautum N, Smith N, Balkundi S, Dash P, Gorantla S, Martinez-Skinner A, Meza J, Kanmogne G, Swindells S, Cohen SM, Mosley RL, Poluektova L, Gendelman HE. Pharmacodynamic and antiretroviral activities of combination nanoformulated antiretrovirals in HIV-1-infected human peripheral blood lymphocyte-reconstituted mice. J Infect Dis 2012 Jul 17 [Epub ahead of print]. PMC Journal-In Process
10. Nahid P, Kim PS, Evans CA, Alland D, Barer M, Diefenbach J, Ellner J, Hafner, R, Dukes Hamilton C, Iademarco M, Ireton G, Kimerling M, Lienhardt C, Mac Kenzie W, Murray M, Perkins MD, Posey J, Roberts T, Sizemore C, Stevens WS, Via L, Wai Yew W, Swindells S. Clinical research and development of TB diagnostics – moving from silos to synergy. J Infect Dis, 2012; 205:S159-68.
11. Swindells S. New drugs to treat tuberculosis. F1000 Med Rep 2012; 4: 12. Published online 2012 June 1. doi: 10.3410/M4-12 PMCID: PMC3370665
12. Grosset J, Almeida D, Converse P, Tyagi S, Li SY, Ammerman NC, Pym A, Wallengren K, Hafner R, Lalloo U, Swindells S, Bishai W. Modeling early bactericidal activity in murine tuberculosis provides insights into the activity of isoniazid and pyrazinamide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A., 2012; 109:15001-5. PMCID: PMC3443175
13. Sandkovsky US, Swindells S, Robbins BL, Nelson SR, Acosta EP, Fletcher CV. Measurement of plasma and intracellular concentrations of raltegravir in patients with HIV infection (research letter). AIDS, 2012 Aug 31 [Epub ahead of print]. PMC Journal-In Process
14. Williams J, Sayles HR, Meza JL, Sayre P, Sandkovsky U, Gendelman HE, Flexner C, Swindells S. Long-acting parental nanoformulated antiretroviral therapy: interest and attitudes of HIV-infected patients. Nanomedicine, 2012 accepted.
15. Swindells S, Komarow L, Tripathy, S, Cain KP, MacGregor RR, Achkar JM, Gupta A, Veloso VG, Asmelash A, Omoz-Oarhe AE, Gengiah S, Lalloo U, Allen R, Shiboski C, Andersen J, Qasba SS, Katzenstein DK, for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group 5253 Study Team. Sensitivity and Specificity of pulmonary tuberculosis screening in HIV-infected individuals: ACTG Protocol A5253. IJTLD, 2012 accepted.
16. Godfrey C, Villa C, Dawson, L, Swindells S, Schouten J. Controlling health care associated infections in the international research setting. J Acquired Immune Def Syndromes, Letter to the Editor, 2012 accepted.