Professor of Neurology, Mount Sinai Medical Center
Director, Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratories
Director, Neuro-AIDS Research Program
New York, NY
- Neurological complications of AIDS
- Peripheral neuropathy associated with HIV and ARVs
- HIV-associated dementia
Dr Simpson is a Professor and Attending Physician at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. He is also the Director of the Mount Sinai Neuro-AIDS Research Program and Fellowship.
- Member and Past Chairman, Neurology Subcommittee of ACTG
- Executive Steering Committee, Neurologic AIDS Research Consortium
- Member, American Neurological Association
- Fellow, American Academy of Neurology
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1976)
- Best Doctors in New York, New York Magazine (1996)
- Service Award, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (1997)
- Best Doctors in America (2003-2004)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, BA, Psychology (1975)
- State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine, MD (1979)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland/Case Western Reserve, Internship in Internal Medicine (1979–1980)
- New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center, Residency in Neurology (1980–1983)
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Fellowship in Clinical Neurophysiology (1983–1984)
- Simpson DM. HIV-associated dementia: review of pathogenesis, prophylaxis and treatment studies of zidovudine therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:19-34.
- Tagliati M, Grinnell J, Godbold J, Simpson DM. Peripheral nerve function in HIV infection: clinical, electrophysiological and laboratory findings. Arch Neurol. 1999;56:84-89.
- Gracies JM, Simpson DM. Botulinum toxin. Neurologist. 2000;6:98-115.
- Simpson DM. Treatment of spasticity with botulinum toxin. Muscle Nerve. 2000;23:447-449.
- McArthur JC, Yiannoutsos C, Simpson DM, and the ACTG Clinical Trials Group Team 291. A phase II trial of recombinant human nerve growth factor for sensory neuropathy associated with HIV infection. Neurology. 2000;54:1080-1088.
- Tagliati M, Danisi F, DiRocco A, Mylin L, Chong J, Simpson DM. Somatosensory evoked potentials in AIDS-associated myelopathy. Neurology. 2000;54:1477-1482.
- Simpson DM, Olney R, McArther J, et al. A placebo-controlled study of lamotrigine in the treatment of painful HIV-associated neuropathy. Neurology. 2000;54:2115-2119.
- Geraci A, DiRocco A, Liu M, Werner P, Tagliati M, Godbold J, Simpson DM, Morgello S. AIDS myelopathy is not associated with elevated HIV viral load in cerebrospinal fluid. Neurology. 2000;55:440-442.
- DiRocco A, Bottiglieri T, Dorfman D, Werner P, Morrison C, Simpson DM. Decreased homovanilic acid in CSF correlates with impaired neuropsychological function in HIV-1 infected patients. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2000;23:190-194.
- Wulff E, Simpson DM. Case of the month. Peripheral neuropathy associated with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related Burkitt's lymphoma. Muscle Nerve. 2000;23:1764-1766.